Looking for OEM Refrigerator for a 780.

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by NoCoCraig, Dec 12, 2013.

1. jaylo

jaylo Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2010
    wichita,ks
    I was wondering about the new style. I haven’t had any issues except getting it set right the thing will freeze everything in the fridge. The freezer needs a better seal. ? But that 860 is something else all sorts of upgrades.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Man, you are lucky! I have the same AC fridge you had and would love to try the Volvo one everyone complains about if I could only find one. The AC Walmart one (like your first pic) kills my batteries quick running off inverter but it is nice to have a half gallon of ice cream in there.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Well this beats the price of the OEM fridge. Even with replacing it every time it breaks.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  5. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    It does but it's tiny to me. The freezer is plenty big but the fridge part isn't. I can barely fit a week's food in there and I've been able to do that easily with every other fridge I've had. Never had the OEM Volvo one, though. My truck came with a big hole there.

6. Intothesunset

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I can bet OEM fridges new for the Volvo are about $1800.

86scotty Thanks this.
  7. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Yep, I was thinking about the same number. I'm gonna have to modify my cabinet but sooner than later I'm going to get a Truckfridge T130. I've had a few in campers and in my expedite van. The thing is huge inside for it's size. Unfortunately too wide for a 780 cabinet though.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  8. Intothesunset

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I wonder what the difference is in why truck fridges last longer? I would guess the compressor is built a little different. But I am guessing.

9. Intothesunset

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I was just reading some RV forums and generally they mostly switch to residential fridge over the the propane fridge. Twice the size of a fridge for 1/3 the price. But I know the OEM truck fridges are not propane.

10. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Truckfridge brand are 12v compressor fridges with a Danfoss/Secop compressor. I'm no expert but everything I've ever read says they're pretty tough. I've got a big Truckfridge metal chest fridge in my Jeep that I've had for years. We beat the hell out of that thing constantly moving it between cars for different family trips, wheeling or camping. I had it in my truck before I got an inverter and Walmart fridge. I can't seem to kill it.

Since the inverter isn't running they are a lot more efficient. With my 4 truck batteries a DC compressor fridge will run for several days parked before it drags the batteries down at all.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  11. Intothesunset

Apr 15, 2019
    truck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.