Looking for real world feedback on the PACAR MX 13

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by KWJams, Jun 22, 2014.

1. KWJams

KWJams Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2014
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dogals right foot

Dogals right foot Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2013
    The Dreaded Northeast
    I have a 2015 KW T680 with the MX13.

I have no complaints..truck pulls well,MPG are good and the engine is very quiet.

The 1st week I had it a emissions light came on..took it into a KW shop.
    Long story short..it was something minor but they found the turbo wasn't building boost like it should.
    So they replaced the turbo..paccar told them to turn the engine up from 455hp to 485hp..so the egine would produce more heat.

Truck woke up big time!
    Plenty of power for hills,jake is working the way it should and mpg are getting better every week.

I average anywhere between 7.2 to 8.5 mpg depending on the load.
    Lighter loads I can run down the road at 68mph with no problems.

I went with the Paccar over the cummins due to weight issues on the front axle.
    Plus the egr problems the cummins can have.

No regrets here.

Utahtrucker and tscottme Thank this.
  4. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    72,000 on my Mx No real problems expect a pesky check engine light that seams to come on. Every now and then. Doesn't really seem to effect performance, but the company shop normally takes a few days b4 they can clear the code. Other then that the quiet engine, and it does to me seem to take a little longer to get up to top gear, but once its in top gear. It does the job. Super good fuel mileage at 60 for my truck, and even this trip in which I had to run at the governor speed of 65 I'm still managing 7.7. At 60 and 62 I get get anywhere from 8 to 8.5. Also not sure its all of the trucks but my company had me get an overhead done at the 40,000 mile mark.

5. KWJams

KWJams Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Great feedback -- THANKS!

Fuel consumption is very important to me. I will be pulling a bottle in Rocky Mountain region.

I am looking at a 2015 T880 -- PACCAR MX 455 -- 18 speed -- 3:42 rears -- with tall rubber 245.

To be totally honest, the color has me nervous. I know it sounds silly but the first truck I bought had a huge yellow 3408 DI Cat in it.

Drove a few trucks with red motors and the MX motor color reminds me of the old 2300 rpm screaming / oil slobbering / fall on its face when it sees a hill
    Detroit silver 92.

6. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    All paccar engines require initial overhead done at around 40k. Then every 120-150k. My paccar has over 400k and no problems. I do my own engine maintenance unless it's warranty or emissions related. The overhead is not hard to do on these engines. Try not to idle extensively as it' really hard on dpf filter. Also when you have dpf filter cleaned every 200k have them service def system, doser inj, and sensors and also pull egr cooler and flush the carbon out. Dealers use a special cleaner, this is a fairly new recommendation from paccar. The way it was explained to me as the carbon builds up in egr cooler it creates hot spots and premature cooler failure. But i am very happy with the engine. Not sure if other drivers have this gauge, but i have a fuel filter restriction, gauge fleet guard makes fuel filters for this engine but they do not last as long as the oem paccar filters, based on filter restriction gauge. I ordered my trk with every gauge possible that would fit on dash

7. Dogals right foot

Dogals right foot Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2013
    The Dreaded Northeast
    Yep..I have the big gauge cluster..with the fuel filter restriction gauge as well.

I was told pretty much the same thing..no long periods of idling.
    I pretty much do the old school cool down period when parking at night..let the engine idle for 5-10 minutes then shut down.

Nice having a APU saves a lot more than just fuel.

FYI..13speed with 3.36 gears.

67 mph in 13th and 57 mph in 12th is great for MPG.

8. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    Spoke too soon. Stop engine light came on for some reason. Now will have to be in the shop the 3rd time in 3 weeks. Then it also threw up some dpf fuel enable acutator code. So looks like I may be in the shop awhile. Glad I'm due for a restart. Or it wouldn't be a pretty thing. If all this is happening at 70,000 miles. I may have to find me something with a cummins to keep me out of the shop.

9. Milktanker

Milktanker Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Frenchtown, mt
    I drive a 2014 kw t800 with the mx in it. I pull flatbed and I only average around 6.5 on paper. Eaton fuller 10 speed with 3:36 rears. Most times I'm loaded to 80k. The first 35,000 miles were miserable with engine codes. I've got 80,000 on it now and it has been running like a champ. Doesn't use a drop of oil or coolant between oil changes.
    That being said, if you look at the used market I see a lot of them with only 4-500 k on them saying they have been rebuilt. Honestly if I was an owner op and going for longevity I would go for the isx.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  10. Pahrump

Pahrump Medium Load Member

Not sure if this will work on the PACCAR engines,,I had an ISX and sometimes codes or a couple times the engine had a code that caused a derate , I would disconnect the batteries and reconnect them, this would reset the engine computer and the code and derate would go back to 100% power,,this helps to get to the shop.
    Presently thinking of a new truck and looking at the PACCAR,,only fall back for me is my shop in Aurora Ut is great on cummins and can do cummins warranty, and best of all their prices are half what a dealer wants.

11. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Whether you buy a MX or ISX doesn't matter so much.
    Question you have to ask :"does that shop have the Davie tool?"
    If they don't have it you have to ask them if they can access ALL the fault codes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.