Looking for real world feedback on the PACAR MX 13

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by KWJams, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Utahtrucker

Utahtrucker Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    I'm seeing 7.3 to 8.1 Mpg,pretty impressive, just got to remember to keep my foot out of it.beside the electrical issue's it has been pretty good so far.Just wish it was strapped down to a 13-speed trans!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JKrabs

JKrabs Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2016
    I'm a tech for a peterbilt dealership's PacLease fleet. I've got every certification you can get from peterbilt and paccar. We run about 180 trucks with 4 technicians. About 130 are MX13 EPA13 engines, about 20 are MX13 EPA10 Engines, and the rest are Cummins CM2250/CM2350 ISX13/ISX15 engines.

With that said, The significant majority of the MX issues we see are related to aftertreatment issues. I have never seen an MX engine harness fail where I cannot repair it. I see a lot of drivers bring their trucks into us after having spent thousands at other shops, It's not an engine issue, It's a technician issue. Most of the technicians that are in this industry couldn't tell their ####### from a hole in the ground when it comes to an technologically advanced motor like the MX13 EPA13.

For those saying they will go to a cummins instead of a PACCAR engine - The aftertreatment system is identical. I really mean that, I can interchange any part from cummins to PACCAR. So, you won't save any trouble there. The new cummins have real issues with liner protrusion/block erosion (Liners sink into the block then you're getting an inframe), EGR cooler failures, Turbo failures, etc. These are issues that I rarely see on PACCAR engines.

blade, Rolling18, robertfelts and 6 others Thank this.
  4. JKrabs

JKrabs Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Also, I wouldn't touch an EPA10 ANYTHING with a 10 foot stick if I were an owner. The EPA13 engines/aftertreatment systems are leaps and bounds better than the EPA10.

5. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    This is what i have been saying for some time.
    It not just Paccar but all other brands too.
    Most off the horrorstories come from the fact that a lot off greasemonkeys are trying to do the work off a technician.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  6. JKrabs

JKrabs Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2016
    This is exactly the issue I've ran into. I'm the only technician at my peterbilt dealership who has the MX13 diagnostic certification. These engines are not the kind of engines where you walk up and throw parts at it anymore.

Had a driver come in the other week, he had spent over 2 grand at another shop and it came to me. The other shop put a DEF doser on it, and some other work. Then they performed a regen to test the DEF doser. The DEF doser doesn't operate during a stationary regen, you have to drive the thing. Anyways, Two exhaust gaskets and 2 hours labor (1 to fix the leak, 1 to test drive with the driver while I monitor the laptop) and his issue was fixed the right way.

blade, Rolling18, larry2903 and 4 others Thank this.
  7. Utahtrucker

Aug 13, 2016
    Well tell where you work and I'll make a trip out there so you can look at it!!!

Ashphaltwolf and blade Thank this.
  8. Utahtrucker

Aug 13, 2016
    Phantom electrical issue, I had it happen while driving@68 mph,everything just shut down(after I hit a bump in the road),but I had power on the dash to put on the 4-ways.then it happend the other day. While I was sitting at a light, the light changed green, the truck died.put on 4-ways, jumped out wiggled the wires in the battery box, truck fired up, havent had an issue. so in thinking it was a rattle from a wire after hitting bumps in the roadway, and now at a stationary postition. I dont know where it is.I've spent hours using my test light.

9. Utahtrucker

Aug 13, 2016
    also let me know if you have a solution for moving my def tank from the passenger side to the drivers side.

10. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    @JKrabs

Utahtrucker Thanks this.
  11. Utahtrucker

Aug 13, 2016
    I just sent him a pm thanks!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.