Looking for some information on YRC

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by macknumber9, Jan 26, 2019.

1. macknumber9

macknumber9 Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Does YRC not hire dock workers and just have combo drivers (city p/d + dock) or with seniority can you become a city driver only? Also if the answer is that they only have combo driver/dock what's generally the hours for someone new and how long would it take to get a little seniority so you can get more driving less dock?

Obviously I'm not expecting the best hours being the new guy but I'm just curious if I'm going to be maybe working from around 4am loading and then a little driving or like 1am and very little driving and I'm also wondering if there are shifts that start later like 6 or 7am which involves very little dock work and mostly driving?

Also health insurance....I hear it's worth $400/week ($1600/month)...sounds like amazing health insurance....how good is it? Low co pays etc?

What are your honest thoughts about the new contract coming at the end of March? Think YRC is doing a little better and is going to give back some of the benefits like pay and/or pension?

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Your best bet would be to ask the drivers in the YRC section of Truckingboards.com . I don't think there are any YRC guys here.

Texas_hwy_287 and macknumber9 Thank this.
  4. skinnytrucker

skinnytrucker Heavy Load Member

Jan 24, 2009
    U.P. of Michigan
    YRC does have “dock only” jobs but it’s only in major hubs like Chicago or Atlanta. The smaller terminals you’ll do both dock and drive. Yes it’s true about the health insurance. It’s probably the best you can find. The copay is around $20 per doctors visit and around $200 deductible

macknumber9 Thanks this.
  5. blindsidebacker4life

blindsidebacker4life Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Humana and Bluecross middle packages..

You'll be on probation a while but get mandatory overtime often. You'll have to keep your bill count up on the dock while everyone else sits back and talks about sports and laughs about how powerless the supervisors and managers are.. Every few months corporate will come to complain about damages and contracts.. Welcome to the union...

Union companies really aren't worth it anymore except to get in to before retiring for the pension.. When you get there you'll have people trying to get you fired accusing you of bumping buggies or breaking stuff; I left there right before it got this bad..

Any old Yellow or Roadway people who still know people working at one of the terminals can verify this.. It's a toilet

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.