Looking into KLLM

Discussion in 'KLLM' started by fordlady40, Dec 19, 2006.

1. chickinqueen

chickinqueen Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2005
    louisiana
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. the professor 94703

the professor 94703 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Hope, Ar , USA
    Rule 1 If you are tired stop and take a break. If you run into hours problems contact dispatch asap. KLLM is big enough that if it is something hot , 1 they will ask in advance, 2. company is big enough that they will make arrangements(either resked del or swap) .
    Fleet Managers. currently most on the company side are handling 80-90 trucks. This is mostly the current economy. I'm not sure about lease operators & pure o-o flleets. Up til 2 years ago it was appox 40-60 trucks per fleet manager.
    KLLM likes to trade trucks off at 550k miles or 4 model years. Currently this have changed due to the economy. We have a very large number of decommisioned trucks sitting in Jackson awaiting sale. I get the impression management is not happy about this. I suspect that freightliner has not been taking these on trade as they used to.
    I've been with KLLM 15 years now and getting home has not been a problem.(I also have a pretty good reputation for running, 120k + a year).
    I have heard complaints from some drivers, In the same breath I will also remark that I've been deadheaded at times 300+ miles to get home.
    Reefers. The units are generally fairly new units with most being under 3 years old. This is changing as KLLM has had to have a large number of units rebuilt to comply with California emmision requirements.
    The units are primarily Carrier's with a handfull of Thermo Kings. Unit failures are pretty rare,(but some are memorable) I've never lost a load due to a unit failure. Some of this is just experience, knowing what a unit should be doing and recognizing when it doing something wrong.(waking up because of the sound of silence when unit is supposed to be running on continous) .
    The biggest thing about reefers is that you do need to keep an eye on the unit, and what the load is doing. ie that the temperature is what it is supposed to be. (saw an independent O-O try to run a potato load. Unit was set on +55F and on cycle. Produce needs to run on continuous and potatoes need to be set on +45F) You have more responsibilities to the load than a dry van.
    I've made some remarks elsewhere about SE regional. Short comment is Florida is the biggest hole there.
    Biggest thing I've always liked here is a lot of good people.
    Current downside is the economy. I also have concerns going forward about transportation. I think RR's may become a lot more competitive going forward, but that is long term(5-10 years out)

usa4freedom Thanks this.
  4. chickinqueen

chickinqueen Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2005
    louisiana
    Oh yes they do go to Mass, CT NY,Nj all those places in the sucky east coast

5. the professor 94703

the professor 94703 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Hope, Ar , USA
    :biggrin_2559: Hey whats wrong with NY? (I was born there NYC in fact) Rude drivers(both 4wheeler and truck) tight roads and streets, low clearance bridge signs that have no relation to reality?
    Lets see unionized receiving docks.
    Tolls?(KLLM uses enhanced Prepass/ EZ Pass)
    NY State Police (I've seen do things . . . .)

6. BigJon310

BigJon310 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2011
    Everywhere, USA

I completely agree with this statement here. I will be starting School this Monday, and I have been talking to KLLM recruiters (as well as other companies of course), and KLLM seems like the best fit for "MY" circumstances coming out of cdl school here in California. I know they lack the wide-stint of terminals that some of the bigger companies offer, but from what I have researched about them on my own, and the high percentage of positive feed back on this and other blogs/fourms, I am feeling very solid about running with them for a full year (especially since I am taking out a loan for my cdl schooling, and KLLM will cut the check for the full ($5000max) amount after a full year with them). And will definitely reevaluate my situation there after....

7. plentygood

plentygood Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    USA / CANADA
    It's a heck of a lot of work just picking a company to go with isn't it? I find myself in the same position.
    Good luck to you BigJon310 in whatever way you go.

BigJon310 Thanks this.
  8. BigJon310

BigJon310 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2011
    Everywhere, USA

Thanks! It surely is. I really do feel that my research is paying of well... Good luck to you as well...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.