Looking to buy ice cooler to keep drinks cold 6 days

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RockyTopTn4life, Jul 7, 2017.

1. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Yeti coolers are going to be the best but you also pay for it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TAfool

TAfool Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler is what I've used for years. It sits between the two front seats for easy access (cascadia). $40ish at wallyworld.

Precooling items will make the ice last much, much longer. Typically I add ice every other day at a rate of 2-3 10lb bags. If items are precooled I can easily get 4 days of good ice storage. I'm always adding at least 12 cans of warm soda every other day.

Typical contents include; 24 cans soda, 3-4 water bottles, subway sandwich, breakfast burritos/biscuits, quesadillas, cheese sticks, jerky/pepperoni sticks etc. I store the food in Ziploc plastic storage containers (not the bags) of various sizes if they aren't in sealed packaging.

Draining the cooler everyday or every other is mandatory otherwise the rising water tends to seep into the packages.

If I had a trunk monkey I would probably get a fridge but I need stuff accessable while cruising.

TA

Redtwin Thanks this.
  4. RockyTopTn4life

RockyTopTn4life Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2016
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well here is what I did in the past.

I bought an Engel portable fridge, I was driving a truck with battery problems and no APU - my first one.

I would get a small container to put ice packs into it, let them freeze when the truck was running - that was about 12-14 hours a day while on duty/driving, it would get cold enough to to keep the thing cold when it was off for 10 hours. I would pull my food out when the truck was running and let it cool down and shut the truck off. In the middle of the reset I would grab something to drink and it was always cold.

So yes you can have this, but I have to wonder about the batteries on the APU, aren't they separate from the truck batteries?

6. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Kodi coolers from HEB.

7. bobbyhill

bobbyhill Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Left Lane
    My orca will usually still have ice in it on the sixth day

8. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    My new truck has an electric apu that is wired for shore power and has a 12 volt socket plug on the back of the cab to connect to the reefer battery , fire up the reefer plug it in and the apu batteries never go down .
    Mega fleets might not like this tho .

9. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    I suggested a setup like that to our maintenance guy, he said the battery pack works fine.... Except when I'm stuck for 28hrs.....lol

bzinger Thanks this.
  10. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Typical shop response lol

11. Woodchuck88

Woodchuck88 Medium Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    New York
    I have a yeti roadie, keeps 1 bag of ice 3-4 days, I keep only my sandwich meats and cheese in it but in my opinion a great investment since I do not have an apu.

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.