Looking to Buy/Lease a truck? Stay AWAY FROM WHOLESALE TRUCK AND FINANCE!!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by nt33197, Jun 16, 2011.

1. lookin to truck

lookin to truck Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2017
    The truck can't be tagged in NC... Just talked to them, and they said because they have gotten burned in the pass with people not paying sales tax, and the bill came back to them...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Why exactly and who is they?

4. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    LOL!!!

It can't be the state telling him that he can't tag it. It must be the seller or wholesale truck and finance.

Because if he tags it in NC, he is gonna pay the sales tax right away so its not a state thing.

The only reason the state wouldn't tag it is for insurance reasons. NC has a list of out of state and in state insurers that your specific insurance company has to be on in order for them to issue you a plate. My insurance was on there but, I kept giving them the name of the underwriter and not the insurance company.

Loke Thanks this.
  5. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC

Ok he's saying that Wholesale truck and finance won't allow it to be tagged in NC because NC sends the tax bill about 90 days after tagging it. They will send it to Mountaineer Leasing/Wholesale truck finance, not to the person registering it.

Loke and TripleSix Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Doesn't the tax get tacked on to the loan? OR paid for at the dmv BEFORE even getting a plate.

nikmirbre Thanks this.
  7. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Some companies are going away from this. When I purchased a truck from freight liner(select trucks) they didn't add the tax in. And I purchased a brand new trailer last year and they done the same thing.

Especially if he purchases out of state they won't collect it for NC.

Loke Thanks this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I don't know about the commercial aspect. But i'm buying a Harley from a Los Angeles dealer. They tacked on Utah sales tax on the loan. But i have to plate it. It won't even come with a temp tag. Back in 2000 though, I bought a chevrolet from indianapolis. They DIDN'T collect the sales tax. I had to pay all that when i came back to utah to plate it. But THEY issued a temp tag to drive it home with. If i remember right. It was cheaper for me to pay all the taxes at home then to tack onto the loan out there. Besides the interest factor on the extra amount of the loan.

I think there's a plate fee you save by doing it yourself also.

9. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Yeah your right its cheaper to pay it at home. But, since the OP can't tag it in those states...that tells me that he had to get a power of attorney from Wholesale truck finance and their name would be on the registration therefore, they would be sent the bill.

Loke Thanks this.
  10. Tama Mai Hawaii Nei

Tama Mai Hawaii Nei Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    NC is a title state. He would be required to pay the tax up front. I dealt with this issue in NV. Taxes to DMV $5500 what you do is go to the department of taxation apply for a payment arrangement on the sales and use tax. This allows you to pay a monthly payment over a year and be able to title the vehicles that day

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.