Looking to buy my own truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Sygmadriver03, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
    You work for sygma? I'm assuming by your name. Idk where you're based out of. But I worked for sygma and sysco for 10 years. Are you running up and down a ramp all night? If so, then ya I'd consider it. Personally I wouldn't sign onto the guy your talking about. I'd sign onto a self dispatch kind of company. What if this guys freight dries up? Does he have company drivers as well? They prob give him more profit and they'll get the better loads. But you can't run up and down those ramps forever. Your knees or back will eventually give out. do not do a lease purchase! Go get yourself a truck!

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hauled everything in 2 years? Hmm, took me 20 years to do that. What we have here, over and over again, is the will to succeed, an American tradition. Trouble is, so many go into this with good intentions, and fail miserably, not on their accord, it's just the odds are totally against you from the get-go. No matter what is said, people just won't listen, I didn't, and found out the hard way, a company job is just a better deal today. I heard one fellow say, "if I won the lottery, I'd buy a couple trucks, and run them until the money gives out".

4. Sygmadriver03

Sygmadriver03 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2016
    I left sygma 4 years ago. Got into hazmat & premit loads. I mean he pays his company drivers 2000-2500 a week. Which is more then any places around here.

5. Sygmadriver03

Sygmadriver03 Bobtail Member

May 11, 2016
    Been driving almost 9 years, 5 years food then doubles, hazmat tankers for year. Now equipment/flatbed with some oversize & hazmat.

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    $30 an hr. If OT is available. 60 hrs. a week pays 70. $2100 gross. That’s a pretty good deal. With Benefits. Hard to beat as a Company Driver w/o the headaches of Owning a Truck. So many variables it’s hard to say. You’ll definitely put in more than 60 hrs. Owning your Own. Considering everything that follows you home after it’s parked. All depends on what you want to do. The money will work out either way. $1000 a day is plenty to support a Truck. $1500 a day, will double your paycheck. Crunch the numbers. Every little bit past a certain point is profit. Great when times are good, disastrous when their not. Works both ways. Calculate vacation time also. 2 weeks plus a week for Thanks giving and a week for Christmas, minimum. So 11 mo.s net revenue divided by 12 mos of pay, Trucking, Insurance, health ins. and any other fixed monthly costs. The net pay numbers change quite a bit. Time off should be considered as part of the overall picture. It’s realistic. Working all the time isn’t any good. IMO it’s time to do something different, if I have to work all the time.

7. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Since you hauled just about everything there is to haul the last 2 years
    And the guy the owns the company your looking to lease on with .. is a friend of the family
    My advice .. You better jump right on that deal... That company sounds like the perfect fit...You both will very lucky to have each other ...

8. Stop Truckin Around

Stop Truckin Around Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2020
    Buy a new truck.
    If you buy used your buying someone else’s problems.

Trucking isn’t rocket science. Very possible to succeed if your willing to do the work.

Common sense and a little business savvy and you should make it.

9. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    The numbers sound good from what you posted. 15% is not bad considering what is offered.
    I decided to become an owner operator for one reason, money. I couldn't find a company where I could make what I needed to. People become owner operators for a number of reasons.
    So you need to decide what is best for you. Are you happy where you are now? You are going to have to get your own health care. And owning your own business, is a big responsibility and a 7 day a week job. For example, its a Sunday and I am going to work on my truck. There are a LOT of other things I would rather be doing, but I don't have a choice. Just something to consider....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.