Looking to get a GOOD CB setup

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Cattleman84, Nov 14, 2017.

1. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Hopefully there hasnt been too many golden screwdrivers mess with the insides and at most it has only had a clean alignment done to it and with a good antenna setup Im sure you will really like it.

Cattleman84, rabbiporkchop and weasel Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    You can go to Cb Radio Magazine .com and he has a video review of the 148 gtl that is worth watching.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The cobra 29 you have is a good radio, get it aligned and get a good antenna system put into the truck.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  5. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    do you have any radio shop in mind to carry out repairs

6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    No... I can't seem to find any on my side of the country so I will have to take it to one when I'm out on the road... If there are any good ones you know of along I-80 or I-70 anywhere from Utah to Kentucky I'd really appreciate the recommendation. I want one that won't clip or snip anything... I'd like to get that 23 channel Cobra 29 working in as close to original condition as possible.

7. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Where do you live? There are repair shops everywhere

8. prisonerofthehighway

prisonerofthehighway Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Rapids, Ia
    I haven't read all the responses and too lazy to scroll. Should probably say what kind of truck, semi, pick up, ? If it's a semi than what kind. You would probably want different antenna setup on a Cascadia than an old pete 359. Cobra's are well proven radios, but when you say range are you talking line of sight, skip, repeater? Mic wise, either an astatic or rk noise canceling is definitely the way to go. Do you want the extra channels that no one ever uses? Do you want to sound like you have your head in a bucket with a turbo echo board?
    In my opinion, without knowing what vehicle your putting your cb in it's kinda hard to recommend an ant system, but as far as the radio is concerned you have a good base with that cobra. You can as someone else put on here upgrade your final, put a channel kit in it to get the uppers and lowers. Stay away from anyone that says a mod boost. There are no FCC rules that i know of that limit modulation so radios come from the factory with the mod wide open. Anything more than 100 percent mod only distorts your signal and makes it sound like crap. Another route you can go, assuming that you have a ham license (wink wink) you can get your radio tuned and peaked to no more than a 1 to 1 1/2 watt deadkey. Put a small linear behind it with a variable power output and pre amp for receiving. Put good coaxial , my preference is single, but dual can work if you get your swr's set right. then find a good ant that you can get your swrs down as close to 1 as possible. 1 being the best swr setting you will get outside a controlled setting. Hope this helps. Again these are just my opinions and yes i know that opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one and they usually stink :)

9. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    You have a good old radio I love the old Cobra 29 and 148. Me personally I'd take it and the truck it's going to be in to the radio shop. Have them go thru the radio, put a new mic on it, run new coax, get a decent antenna have the SWR set and roll. They can also match it to a linear amp. If you want to spend more money then by all means spend $500-$1000 on a new setup with the latest and greatest. I use Clays Radio Shop Home Page in TX and have for 25 yrs. It just depends on what you want. When I key up on what ever frequency I'm on I want to be heard crystal clear period.

stacks Thanks this.
  10. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Don’t be afraid of a clip or snip. It’s usually just a few cheap parts like diodes or resistors replaced to increase modulation, and they are cheap to replace. Truck CB Sales is in Kentucky and he has videos of his work on YouTube. I talked DX to him from Mississippi this summer, he has a good setup and seems to have good customer service. Check him out on YouTube.

11. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    yes Truck cb sales or clays radio shop used to be Across the street from the pilot truckstop in san Antonio

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.