Looks like I'm going back to Specialized...

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by Ridgerunner665, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I think I'm in love with the new truck....

LOL...reminds me of that old song...I'm a redneck, I'm in love with my truck, I'm a redneck...and I don't give a $@#!...LOL....how many of you remember that one?

For all the bellyaching and moaning I've done about the smart cruise....I'm an idiot...That cruise is the best thing since sliced bread IMO...just set it and forget it (not really, but you know what I mean).

Fuel mileage is 7.2 mpg so far, thats running empty for 400 miles pulling a 20,000 lb. trailer...1.3 MPG better than the old truck.

Its so quiet and rides so smooth, the APU is great, six 120v plug ins, well lit inside....the list goes on.

Automatic transmission...because of the cruise control, I will never again complain about an automatic transmission...oh, and the electronic clutch is a HUGE improvement over the centrifugal clutches on the older autos.

I'm not sure where Maverick set the horsepower and have not driven it loaded heavy (or even loaded at all)...but it seems to pull OK, albeit gradually, due to the low rpm shifts. I am a little worried about 10th gear though, it catches that gear at 1,000 rpm's...and all but falls flat on its face even empty, starts pulling at 1,100 rpms...I'm not sure thats gonna work all that great pulling 92,000 lbs...thats the only thing I can find to complain about though, and they may tweak the shift program if it proves to be a problem, just have to wait and see.

Yes, I'm a very happy Maverick!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    JimTheHut, jxu417 and sewerman Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. seawheeler

seawheeler Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Central, IL
    I saw your old truck sitting in NLR yesterday. I think they are keeping it in case you want it back LOL. That's one tired looking old truck. Do you have the dd13 or 15 in your truck? Like you said the quietness of these trucks is amazing even when parked. I don't even care if I park next to reefer.

4. sewerman

sewerman Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2008
    westville indiana
    Like I said with the new trucks. I had a go buy a summer dress and a box of tampons drive it.

5. sewerman

Nov 21, 2008
    westville indiana

I hear what you're saying but I still don't want No Dame reefer parked next to me. LOL

jxu417 and seawheeler Thank this.
  6. Ridgerunner665

Apr 27, 2009
    Mines a DD13, which is a tad bigger than what was in the orange truck (12.7 vs 12.8 )

seawheeler and sewerman Thank this.
  7. seawheeler

seawheeler Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Central, IL
    I thought they would have given you the bigger motor. The 13 will get you there, you may just want to add a slow moving vehicle emblem to you're safety equipment list. Although I pulled 49,680 out of Charlotte west on 40 and it did OK, but that's nothing near what you guys haul. Hope it works out for you.

8. Ridgerunner665

Apr 27, 2009
    This DD13 pulls great....MUCH better than the old truck...

It will maintain its speed pulling a combine through a 20mph crosswinds...that's something the 14 liter engines in the 2007 trucks wouldn't do, let alone what the 12.7 in the old orange truck would do.

These trucks do pull, they just don't feel or sound like they are pulling...

9. jxu417

jxu417 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Midwestern OH
    Amen. :biggrin_25525:

10. Ridgerunner665

Apr 27, 2009
    2013 is looking up...

They made some changes a couple of months ago that really streamlined things...we almost always have a preplan so there is very little waiting on loads, usually have the permits for the preplan before we get the load we're on delivered so very little waiting on permits either...just load and roll.

Keith told me a while back that things should be smoother this year...its still early in the game...but so far it appears that things are going as planned...and I for one am very glad to see it.

I bit the bullet last night and bought the rest of the stuff I needed to be able to legally travel at night with an OD load in the states that allow it...I ordered the lights needed for nighttime running while I was home for Christmas ($173), they didn't arrive until after I left so I don't have them in the truck yet.

I've spent almost $700 doing this....2 reflective oversize signs ($172 each), the stuff to fabricate me some extendable mirrors that look at least somewhat professional ($120), this is not easy on a Cascadia, magnets for holding the flags on the load ($40), new flags ($16).

I am now all set for hauling loads up to 12' wide at night...

I think Maverick will reimburse me for everything except the lights and reflective signs...they probably won't wanna pay for those because they are not absolutely necessary, and are only useful in some states (MN and WI is where I'll get the most use out of them)...they'll pay for themselves because we haul a lot of stuff to, from, and through those states.

I figure since they streamlined their end to maximize the potential...It is only fair that I do the same...this should make it possible to generate more revenue for both Maverick and myself...especially during the winter months when the days are so short.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuel mileage in the new truck....well, its not really any better than the old truck so far...it is a little better, but its due to less idling. The actual driving MPG's are pretty much the same in this truck at 62 MPH as they were in the old orange truck at 67 mph...I have very closely monitored the MPG's with loads I've had and the wind conditions when I had the loads...I have the detailed notes saved on my computer...

It has shown me one thing if nothing else...you cannot go slow enough to make something 12' wide, 14' tall get good fuel mileage...the wind just won't let it happen....the only good wind is a tail wind, and it seems I'm always going the wrong direction to get one of those.

Overall MPG's so far...5.51 MPG, which is .4 better than the old truck, but its all the result of the APU and less idling...and staying loaded and moving.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    Evil_E Thanks this.
  11. sewerman

Nov 21, 2008
    westville indiana
    Glad to hear things are going well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.