Looks like im going with Maverick

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by k51977blazer, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Sincere

Sincere Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Charlotte,North Carolina
    Thanx as long as you get the job the van rides worth it !:biggrin_2559:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ParkRanger

ParkRanger Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    If you follow the rules and work hard you'll get the job. The question will be if you keep the job once you are solo.

4. Sincere

Sincere Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Charlotte,North Carolina
    True indeed... But why wouldn't you ? As I am a newbie , I wouldn't want too be leaving a company that gave me a chance to gain experience for at least a year to a year and a half if I'd leave at all.
    It simple get the job done safely and correctly .

5. ParkRanger

Aug 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I was told that only 10% make it a year. Just look at how many new drivers are being trained. Your first year is scary. Many first time experiences that you go through by yourself. Securing loads, tarping in all kinds of weather, traffic, detours, construction, etc. You don't see your family or friends for weeks, and when you do it's only for a couple days and you just want to sleep. You'll be nervous about backing so you avoid truckstops, which overcharge for everything. You'll get stuck in the middle of nowhere doing a 34 reset, or having maintenance, while you're not getting paid. You'll get lonely, bored, tired, frustrated and then repeat. After the first year my mind went numb and I don't notice it as much. Then I had to deliver to Brooklyn. :biggrin_2551:

6. Sincere

Sincere Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Charlotte,North Carolina
    Lmao, "then I had to deliver to Brooklyn " ? Dam I'm gonna strive to make it through that 1yrs ir will make me stronger.Not making it is not an option for me.

7. Hottub

Hottub Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Can you give any advice that would help to get through the first year ?

8. ParkRanger

Aug 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I have a lot of advice and some of it may be good.

1st. If you have family (esp. kids), friends, etc. that you like to spend time with, consider another job because you won't see them anymore. Once you start driving you'll have a tough time leaving since you're never home enough to look. I'm lucky that I have a very independent spouse who takes care of everything while I'm on the road, doesn't spend all the money, and I trust with no hesitation. I've heard a lot of drivers marriages end in divorce and can see how it could happen on both sides. So if you ignore this advice, prepare your family and friends for your absence.

2nd. Learn to drive your truck and trailer. Sure, you can get it down the big road, but what about a blind side back into a garage at night with no help? Best advice there is get out and look as many times as you need to, and ask for help. Sure, it may take a while, some folks may laugh at you, but it's better than explaining to safety how you had an accident. How about a corner in a small town? This is against the law and I don't recommend it, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Sometimes you have to swing left and then hang out into oncoming traffic. If you're lucky you hit the town when traffic is light. If not, take your time. Sit through the light a couple of cycles. Eventually some kind person will see your problem and block a lane for you. Once you start the turn and are committed, feel free to block any lanes needed. Most sane drivers will do what it takes to get out of your way. I've found most people are very nice and back up, move, tell me I'm #1, or just turn around and go home. We are providing the means for jobs in America so most folks are nice. I always try to wave at the folks who helped me if I'm not to busy wiping crap out of my pants. Recently I had a cop clear an intersection before I got there. Thanks Officer :biggrin_2559:

3rd. (ok, I'm posting this from my phone and can't see what I posted and I realize it's too much, but I'm on a roll). By patient, and take your time. I think the thing that bugged my most when I started driving (I only consider driving is driving big trucks now) was how inconsiderate or just plain stupid 4 wheelers can be. They will cut in front of you at the last second and hit the brakes. This caused me to lose an entire load of glass in Canada and miss getting my 2 year safe driving pin (wohoo). But I'd sure rather break glass than injure a stupid person. Keep your distance, let the 4 wheelers cut in (expect it), and listen to your favorite music or whatever.

Last (for now)
    I'm an old guy so this is obvious to me. DON'T TEXT, or email, or do anything on your phone that takes your eyes off the road. Just try closing your eyes for 2 seconds when you're driving, (not near me please) and see where you are.

Sincere and Rotten Thank this.
  9. Sincere

Sincere Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Charlotte,North Carolina
    Thanks for the advice ...We'll be using it .

ParkRanger Thanks this.
  10. Sincere

Sincere Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Charlotte,North Carolina
    Well Saterday and Sunday was my classes introduction to the yard after 10 weeks in the class room, from here on it's all about practical application, we started straight backing, everyone did well on Sat. with the 12 ,11 and 10 foot lanes so we up the antie on sunday and went down to 9 feet then down to 8 1/2 feet . I had problems with the 8 1/2 but it was fun the test is with 12 feet lanes so we'll be prepared. One more week of straight backing then we'll be tested to move to the next maneuver which is alley docking.
    That's it for now ..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.