Looooowwww Rates

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Boundtransport, Feb 6, 2020.

1. OneWay Trucking

OneWay Trucking Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Yea man it's rough..... I run hotshot as well been doing it for little over 5yrs but this has been the worst I've seen. I'm almost ready to hang it up bc insurance rates keep going up. These rates are ridiculous rt now and when you add up wear n tear plus fuel it's not worth the hassle. I had two companies I depended on for good loads and they both shut it's doors rt before Christmas. They said the rise in Tariffs forced them to close. The brokers don't care bc they skimming off the top. I also know MOST of them are taking 20-50% off the top. Always try to negotiate the number my man. Ask for what you want they will bump it up sometimes bc they need to book quickly. Good luck buddy!!!

Boundtransport and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    It’s been pony pebbles around these parts on our assets.

our little brokerage. One particular weekly load the same carrier has been on it for $2800 for probably a year now. Well, first of the year they get frisky with all the demand that was happening and fall off the load. Well, later they call and say they can do it but for $3000. I found a carrier at $2700 and ran it with them for about a month now. The whole thing really pissed me off. Low and behold they called and want back on the weekly loads starting next week. Their new price you say? $2500. That’s what you call ####ting in your own nest folks.

Loyalty and good business goes both ways. I have a few loads on my assets weekly through a broker that we’ve done for a couple years now. I hadn’t raised the price and they hadn’t lowered it. We treat those loads like the gold they are.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Where we live between Binghamton by and Scranton pa there is some good paying short hauls to Jersey/Philly area and up into new england. Anything going west sucks, seeing 800 mi trips for 1000, no way, but you know some ppl are taking those. Going to the areas we like (meaning high traffic east coast areas) we've been seeing good rates. Anything south or west is garbage.

This new broker i did a 260mi run paid 850 going to Philly, later in the week asked if we'd be interested in going to SC. Asked what rate we needed said 2k for 850. Best she could come up with was 1200. Let it sit there. Checked on loads coming back up and they were decent rates but still not worth running down for 1200

4. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    You haul grain with hopper bottom? My Dad farms and has a small elevator. Hauling is always heaviest from around Jan through March seems like. Not counting The actual harvest months of course.

Anyway, I still think we’re right on schedule with the current decline and next upswing. Going as expected so far.

Oh and you ain’t kiddin, he ended up not getting over 500 acres planted. I’ve never saw that in my lifetime. Not that much.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Midwest Trucker

Aug 31, 2018
    Not no more your not! I hear 50 white Volvo’s are headed your way now. @Scooter Jones @TallJoe I’m semi kidding kindof.

@Misesian was reporting similar the other day. Get it while you can!

RubyEagle, Rideandrepair and Misesian Thank this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    SNTCF?
    Say No To Cheap Freight.

7. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I have a buddy who does a little farming with his dad, got 250 of 1000 acres planted last year.

Rideandrepair and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    At least you resisted telling them $2200, Lol. I understand it’s the Principle of it all. Never liked going backwards. Even if it’s beneficial, it’s still backwards. Lol

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Oh God!!! Not the White Volo Army again!!!! I didn’t mean to start anything, really, it was only a joke!!!!!

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m hoping for a good Produce season. I hope all the reefers stay busy this spring. Last years bad crops, put a damper on my dry van loads. Same with Containers, I wish them all the best, stay Local and busy. Out of my lanes.

Big_D409 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.