Loop hole in glider law ?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cat sdp, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    My next project I was talked into is this …

1970 Ford Mustang Fastback - Dynacorn Classic Bodies

Got one so rusted that there is hardly a body panel worth saving, but the body in the above link is a replacement for the one I own and a cheap one at that.

yes he was caught and rightfully so but his cars were modified beyond original and sold as high price works of rolling art. The titling them under the state/federal law he was nail under doesn’t apply everywhere.

yep except for the political elite, they can’t use electric cars.

read an interesting write up a couple weeks back about ditching the old smelly oil burner and replacing it with a new electric car with a complete elimination of all oil by 2030. The author fails to understand in the real world, plastics have to be made out of oil when it comes to EVs, the veggie/sea weed/unicorn derived plastics can’t hold up to the heat or chemicals that petroleum base plastics can.

Speed_Drums and reeferwrencher Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Does RockAuto have parts for cars that old?
    RockAuto
    ~
    There's several websites that sell older Buick parts; some as far back as the 1940's.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    They have chevy parts going back to 1915. Not enough to build a car, but some....

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    The places that had ALL the restoration parts were specialized places and I don't remember their names. Year One is a place that has lots of old parts (to include old Buick stuff, I got alot of stuff from them when I revived my 69 GS), but the places I'm thinking of were more specialized and I don't even know if they still exist. I knew a guy who was into the old 55 to 57 Chevy's and he showed me some of the catalogs he had for these places. From him is where I learned about being able to get ALL the parts and the VIN plate dilemma.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  6. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    You can still buy a glider, but I believe it has to meet model year emissions now instead of engine year emissions

7. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Possibly but decades away and the earth doesn’t have enough precious materials needed for all the batteries, nor will the infrastructure handle the massive amount of electric needed to charge batteries let alone the rolling brown outs now. Electric infrastructure is going to have to get 5 times bigger. Not going to happen soon. Let along 15 to 20k lb battery packs what are ya going to haul 25k lbs.
    pipe dream of #########.

Dino soar, AModelCat and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Like they care about any of that.

9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Paccar and Damlier no longer sell gliders from the factory. Don't think Volvo or Navistar does either.

Short Fuse EOD Thanks this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    California couldn't handle everyone running their A/C at once during the heatwave. Think the grid will be up to the task of charging a couple million cars on top of that?

Nobody's talking about affordability either. There's not enough used electric cars on the market for lower income folks to buy. I know myself I'm not interested in cutting a $60k cheque for an electric car when my pickup will easily make it another decade.

11. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Not only all that, but they are talking like Tesla and making the battery packs a integral part of the structure of the car. Tesla figures you need a new car every 5 to 7 years. Yeah wife and I just traded our last 2 vehicles in that were 25+ years old snd these 2 new ones will last me the rest of my life. #### the tree hugging libtards

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.