loop hole with leasing or leasing to own a rig

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rednecktrucking, Oct 26, 2012.

1. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Good luck to you. I have spoken to a number of Swift drivers who seem to like the company. All carriers have their pros and cons. Just make up your mind that you will stick with them at least long enough to get through your contract period. They always seem to have new equipment. Most of the negative that I recall hearing about them is due to their slow trucks. At one time they were governed at 55 mph.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rednecktrucking

rednecktrucking Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2012
    moweaqua, illinois
    thanks, i jsut gotta get this under way asap because im freakin job less right now and i got a family to support and i cant really do it with the unemployment benefits in this #### state, i have always enjoyed driving tandems that use to be a semi so i know how to shift and work on em. just hopefully they dont make me double clutch cause i know how to drive a 7,9,10 and 13 speeds

4. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    You are asking for legal advice. All legal advice is worth exactly what you pay for it or less.

5. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Wow Brownsfan, sounds like some of that advice is starting to sink in!

Redneck, there is another part of the equation you didn't mention when asking about leasing and that's that you have a family. Not a good mix. Also weekends off? Not if your leasing. You will very rarely be able to go home at all when leasing.

Another huge factor in the ever growing pile against you is that you said you are "broke"! How are you going to run a business if you are broke? There will be many weeks of your pay that will be in the negative and what are you going to use for backup? How is your family going to eat let alone you make it while out on the road?

Another thing to add to your pile; you don't have money for school right? So you will either have to take out a loan or go through company schooling in which they will take a good chunk of your pay every week. How are you going to make a $1000 truck payment a week on top of all your other expenses and also have a school payment deducted every week for at least a year?

Right now you are in a mountain of debt before you even get started! Not to mention having to support a family! That would scare the hell out of me! Then when you don't make it you will pretty much be banned from the industry and have to find some other career and have a huge judgement against you for unpaid balances!

I think you really need to take this one sensible step at a time. If you want to be successful and make money I would highly advise you go about it the right way.

You can take this as an assault against you or you can "man" up and realize people are trying to keep you from making the mistake of a lifetime!

Brownsfan16 and Hanadarko Thank this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    That about sums it up, chompi, well said.

Redneck: it is great that you have the gung-ho go-get-em attitude. But you also need to make the smart decision. Remember now that having mouths to feed - if it happens you DON'T succeed, your kids will be hungry. Not trying to be insulting here, but it changes things once others are depending on you.

chompi Thanks this.
  7. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Thanks gokiddgo, believe it or not I'm really trying to help this guy out! Sometimes I guess you have to really lay it down to break the trans though. Once that "bass syndrome" gets a hold of you and you have a mega-carrier with skilled brainwashers hard at work, you can sometimes put all logical thought aside. These new guys all they are hearing is "Brand new truck, no money down, you own it at the end, make your own decisions, run your own biz etc..." Why be a sucker like all these other guys who drive company right when you can own your own truck and do what you want.

I'm on the wrong end of this. I should get into leasing! Its much easier to talk someone into it then out of it! That and I would being making money instead of giving out charitable advice...

8. rednecktrucking

Oct 17, 2012
    moweaqua, illinois
    ive already decided that im not leasing right now ive made that clear in another post or this one. IM NOT DOING A LEASE. Im gonna worry about get my cdl and some experiance first then ill see how i feel. and im gettin out of all my debt tomorrow. im not worried about gettin home every weekend it was just an opption that was told to me. and darn right i got the right attitude to git er done. ya i maybe dumb for go the route im goin but me and the ol lady agreed that it would be better for us than goin to go get a loan. were tryin to make every right decision we can with the new career and again im not doin a lease thats when i was all hyped up my mistake for doin that. im gonna wait a couple years before i decide the o/o route

9. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with company schooling. Actually I would prefer it. I would rather be on the hook with a trucking company than a bank or worse yet a government loan. The biggest bonus of going this route is that provided you pass the tests and get your CDL you are guaranteed a job! That's a no brainer! Ya so what if you have to sign a contract with them. Its not worth the paper its printed on!

10. rednecktrucking

Oct 17, 2012
    moweaqua, illinois
    well after thinkin alot about all that i was first posting to think back i was purty stupid for thinkin about doin a lease right out of the gate, and i was stupid for wanting to go to cre after all you guys advised not to go with them, and i had a guy message me about them. so i changed my mind about them it was just the first company that offered me the gig. then swift called me and offered me the chance to go with them and after talkin to roehl and find out wat i had to do then i backed out with them and have commint to swift

11. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Despite all of the crap we throw at Swift, there are a lot of folks who do very well there. It's mostly up to the individual as to what they make of their opportunities. Just keep in mind what your goal is - a secure future for your children - and make it happen. All of the rest really isn't very important. Get that CDL, and get a paycheck rolling in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.