Loosing Coolant Part II

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by SpankingGT, Sep 25, 2014.

1. SpankingGT

SpankingGT Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Hello guys!

I have a 04 Freightshaker Columbia with 1.18 million miles. Recently my truck was running hot so I changed the oil cooler, thermostat's, water pump and all hoses to to the radiator. It still runs hot. It is also loosing coolant with the coolant tank overflow hose. About a gallon about 3k miles. I'm sure alot of you will say its time t rebuild but I wanted to see if its the radiator that needs to be flushed out or something to do with the engine?

As always, thanks for the help!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    Have you tried a new coolant cap? Maybe the one on there is weak and letting some coolant seep through? Have you verified your temp guage with a heat gun to see if it is really running warm? I hope it is something simple and you can figure it out. Just my .02 cents. Good luck

SpankingGT Thanks this.
  4. bow2no1

bow2no1 Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2012
    maine
    My work truck 06 mack granite, is leaking coolant. For a while I couldn't figure out where it was leaking from. Slow leak. Never found any drips under the truck. Found it the head gasket is leaking in the rear against the fire wall.

Maybe check there? I have been running the truck for a few months like that. Yes my boss knows. None is going in the oil. Soon as our season slows down we'll get it fixed.

SpankingGT Thanks this.
  5. Vurtle

Vurtle Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2012
    Tx
    Try driving slower and keeping your boost down for the next 3000. If it quits or lessens it is likely the head gasket has a small leak under heavy boost. I have even seen one quit leaking after the driver did it, and no more coolant loss to this day. Either way, it is probably time for a head gasket and you might as well do an inframe at that mileage if your going to take the head off. You might consider having your radiator rotted first. It couldn't hurt and probably needs it at that mileage.

SpankingGT Thanks this.
  6. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Do a oil sample to see if it's going there ... As far as running hot goes a lot of times just cleaning the fins on radiator and doing a flush will solve it if rads still in good shape.. Series 60s were bad for injector tubes leaking but a gallon every 3 k I'd think problem was elsewhere it would be smoking white if was burning that much and exhaust would drip sooty liquid .. If you have a tube on the overflow bottle you can try tying a empty plastic pop bottle to it to see if it's spitting outta there

SpankingGT Thanks this.
  7. SpankingGT

SpankingGT Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2010
    The coolant is not going into the oil ( already checked ) and smoke is black as it can be! I changed the coolant tank and also changed the cap with it. It is leaking out of the coolant tank overflow pipe because there's is nothing but a big ol white mess around the driver side tank and chassis. I did tie a clear and a strong plastic bag to the over flow pipe and that's where almost all of it ended up!

8. Tmtbob

Tmtbob Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Oklahoma
    If you're lucky it could be air compressor blowing pressure into the water. Disconnect the discharge line on the compressor while it's normal operating temp and see if you have any excessive pressure build up in radiator.
    If you're not lucky it's a blown head gasket and with the miles it has that would probably be the issue.

SpankingGT and neal234 Thank this.
  9. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    Go to the diesel garage site and in the search section look for handy links, down a ways it has the complete bottle test, do the complete test, it will tell you what is wrong. I know as I wrote it, and it was looked over by others and they posted it.
    Knowledge is king diagnosis by the ripping and tearing method as you have been doing acomplishes nothing but does add to the expense. What ever the problem is I guaranty you it will not get cheaper, and could get real expensive in a hurry.
    Just a thought

neal234 and SpankingGT Thank this.
  10. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    when mine lost coolant out of over flow it was a bad head gasket/

SpankingGT and neal234 Thank this.
  11. blanco

blanco Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Gwinnett County, GA
    EGR Cooler..

X-Country and neal234 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.