Losing my authority

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by femalecdla, Feb 25, 2020.

1. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Come on now, you should know how it works. Dont know about Canada, but in the U.S, Attorney convinces a jury that his client deserves 10 million dollars and then judge awards it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I'm familiar with how it works and I stand by my statement. Lawyers are only advocating for their clients. Tort reform in the US is long overdue.

MericanMade Thanks this.
  4. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Agree: How can you be leased on to a carrier and have you own authority?

5. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    It's a case of the proverbial fox guarding the chickens. Most of our representatives in DC are lawyers.

6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    You put their name and numbers on with the words “operated by”

He’s not going to have his numbers very long anyways......

I think the op is talking about brokers want 90 old activation on authority.....(I guess)

Lite bug Thanks this.
  7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Trip lease.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  8. femalecdla

femalecdla Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Ok, let me try to explain it a better way. I’m leased onto another carrier right now. They have a power only division which requires you to have your own authority. Your authority must be at least 90 days old and you must have your own insurance, not their insurance.

My plan was to transfer from being leased unto them to their power only division along with several other carriers that have power only divisions like, J. B. Hunt 360, Schneider, Prime, Convoy, and others.

That was the plan. My truck finance agreed to this transfer at first but later backed out by saying that I needed to provide insurance and place a payment of $12,000. I added $1,000 because I was quoted that I would need $1,000 for my tags on my truck. I understand there are more expense which I have already factored into the equation.

I’m still leased unto the same company right now. I still have my truck. I’m just losing my insurance and this is what will result in me losing my authority if I cannot find other insurance in time.

The quotes that I have gotten so far are more than what I would be paying should I stay with Progressive. But they also want like $5,000 down. I don’t have $5,000 just yet. I can get it, but just not right now.

So, if I loose my authority, I’ll have to start over again by just applying again and save $8,000 for the down payment for insurance since I’m sure the only company that will insure me will be Progressive again.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  9. femalecdla

Jan 3, 2018
    It’s easy to have your authority and be leased on to another carrier and there are lots of trucking companies that do it. I simply use their numbers and don’t use mine. I use “Operated By” preceded by their numbers. That way my company name stays on my truck and the DOT is happy. Nothing illegal about this and in my opinion for what I’m trying to do, it was a perfect plan had I not lost my insurance.

10. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    You know you can suspend, or make your authority inactive right?

I have never done it. But have talked to others that did.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  11. femalecdla

Jan 3, 2018
    This is what I’m thinking of doing. I’m working it out now.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.