Losing your license while on the road

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DAX_, Oct 23, 2019.

1. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If a driver lost their license on the road what's the best thing to do. Is it different if they drive for a carrier that keeps a copy of the cdl from orientation? Is that copy even valid?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    You are required to have your license in your possession. The cops may let you slide with a photocopy or a pic, front and back, on your phone. Contact you company asap and find out what their procedure on this is.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, make photocopies of license or anything else that's important and keep it inside the truck somewhere.

Texas_hwy_287, PE_T, tscottme and 3 others Thank this.
  5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Start by looking under drivers seat and in bunk then move on to your state that your cdl is from get a new one?

NavigatorWife and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    There are some places you can not go with a copy, a base being one of them. A few years ago Az kept a guys license and gave him a paper copy till he came back to court. They would not let him on base with it, I took his truck in for him.
    Several years ago i was down south and not going to make it back in time to renew my license, Alaska mailed me a paper extension, but I still had my old one to go with it too.
    I lost mine, or thought I did in Canada once when headed to Alaska. I could not find my wallet antwhere, and called my wife. My fuel cards everything was in it, she said she could wire me fuel money easy enough, but I was worried what they would do ate the border, maybe not let me in. lol

DAX_ and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  7. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    The BEST thing (not going into what's legal, company policy or anything else) The best thing is to request home time for asap. Don't accept any loads such as to govt or military facilities that are gonna require it. Drive in a way you don't get pulled over. Go home apply for a duplicate, go back to work. If you don't want a duplicate, take a test and get another endorsement.

8. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yeah, you just need to know your DL#. A photocopy of your licence is good also. If your licence is valid, then it's valid. If you have something else with you that will help identify you as who you say you are it will help.

I think the biggest issue is it is also a form of identification. They need to be able to identify you. If you can cover that, then you can get by untill you get a replacement.

If you have a class A licence, they will find out, and you will be ok.

tscottme Thanks this.
  9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I keep the paper version stored seperately from the one in my wallet, just in case I lose the "real" one. In my state when you renew or get your CDL they hand you a paper version of the CDL the day you take the pic and they mail your laminated license to your home. I would also recommend you memorize your CDL number. The cops have alternate means to ID you without the physical CDL, but the number will make ID much quicker, which MIGHT allow them to cut you a break if you are clean-cut and presentable otherwise.

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It wouldn't hurt to keep a pic of your CDL on your phone if you have some sort of security app. I like KeePass for android.

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.