Lost

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by WREN, Oct 6, 2019.

1. WREN

WREN Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Florida panhandle
    Ok, so I have a new to me 2014 KW T680 with dual antennas. I bought a new cobra 29 ltd classic to install. Hooked it up with my set meter so I could tune it. When I tried, no swing in the meter what so ever. I checked the antennas and saw they were trim to tune. I went and bought 2 new tunable firesticks and installed them and still nothing on the meter. I took it out and tried running with the meter on the cb and still nothing. I'm getting noise, but not picking anyone up and when I key the mic the ant light comes on. I've tested my power and I'm getting 12v, but I am lost.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    it is possible that the antenna mounting nuts (where the antenna goes into one end, and the coax into the other, is rusted..did you replace those?

also, it could be the coax is bad. i'd run an external coax, new connection nuts, and go from there.

this here

[​IMG]

or this connector..

[​IMG]

what i used to do, is run with vice grip mounts, and then i'd wrap electrical tape at all exposed joints to keep the weather out, and never had any issues with this connection rusting up

4. WREN

WREN Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Florida panhandle
    It's possible, I will look and see. It's all sealed so I just assumed they would be good.

5. Blowcanner1975

Blowcanner1975 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Hoosierland
    I replace my coax every year or so just because. You think the they don't move around and get damaged, but they do. Figure the $25-30 bucks is worth avoiding the headache. Replace my Astatic too.

6. WREN

WREN Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Florida panhandle
    So, I was looking at the antenna mounts. It is a metal stud that sticks up out of the plastic mirror arm, then has a double female adapter that screws on to the stud and then the antenna into that female adapter. Shouldn't there be a plastic washer in that configuration or no since the surrounding mirror is plastic?

7. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Yes, there should be a plastic insulator with a metal washer, also Remove the 4 allen screws and remove the metal plate and check the coax connection to the stud, it may be loose or corroded, I had both antenna studs develop corrosion within a year, one winter season can do it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Reason for edit: Spelling
    WREN Thanks this.
  8. WREN

WREN Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Florida panhandle
    Ok, think I found the problem. Other than the plastic washers missing on both sides, the "stud" that screws into the center of the 90 degree adapter is stuck into the antenna mount instead. What say yall?

Attached Files:

9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    get another one, or 2, or 3..as spares.

10. Blowcanner1975

Blowcanner1975 Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Hoosierland
    A little smear of dielectric grease when installing can help with the seizing and corrosion too.

Tx Countryboy and buddyd157 Thank this.
  11. WREN

WREN Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Florida panhandle
    Yeah, I plan to if I can find them locally and yes I am a huge proponent of dielectric grease

buddyd157 and Blowcanner1975 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.