Lost

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by alone, Jun 9, 2014.

1. alone

alone Light Load Member

I apologize in advance for the great wall of text you see before you. For some reason the forum pulled out all the paragraph indents, spacing, and other formatting.

I am brand new to truck driving. I know very little about it at all (I've been reading forums for a few weeks now)and was hoping to get some information from experienced drivers to help me makesome educated and life changing decisions. I've got a million questions. Maybeyour answers can help me decide if I am cut out to be a truck driver. I knowthat no one can make the decision for me, but others could certainly help swaymy decision one way or the other after reading about my situation. I guess I will go ahead and just lay it all out there. Bare with me as my questions willlikely hop from one extreme to the next. I appreciate the hard truth andanything else anyone- experienced or not- would like to ad to the discussion.

Immediate things that are drawing meto the trucking industry:
    Relatively quick and easy to obtain a Class A license
    Abundance of jobs all over the nation
    Pay scale. I've seen everything from $35,000 your first year up to $100,000+ for experienced drivers advertised.
    Benefits, medical/ dental/ vision
    Retirement plan
    Living in the truck while on the road

A little about myself and some of thereasons that have led me to the trucking industry:

I am 36 years old, just very recently going through a divorce. I have no children or a social life really. I do not have anyone in my family that I am close to. My wife/ soon to be ex wife has been my lover and best friend for 12 years. Her companionship filled any void of needing to be sorrounded by friends/ family. I've read about the solitary lifestyle truckers have so its tough to say if this would effect me. As it is,my best friend is gone anyway so trucking or not, I'm going to be missing thatto some extent.
    With the seperation comes finding a new place to live. That means sharing an apartment with strangers (mostly younger college students as thats what is around my area), something I am not keen on, but I have very few options. If I luck out, I could stay with mymother for a few months. Obviously niether being an ideal situation for a grown adult. I no longer will be covered by my wifes medical/ dental/ vision insurance, or her income. All that also makes supporting myself much more difficult.

As for my health, I am overweight. I weigh in at about 320lbs and I've been working towards loosing weight. The recent seperation has made that tremendously difficult to focus on obviously, but I am continuing to try. I also have sleep apnea. I do use a CPAP machine while I sleep. It helps me a great deal, and other than needing the CPAP tosleep at night, it does not effect me at all, no medications or day time drowsiness, etc.. On top of all that though, I have a bad back. Chronic back pain daily. Its tolerable without medication but I somewhat regularly take Ibuprophen. Working doing heavy lifting or standing on my feet 8+ hours daily is no longer doable for me. Sitting up straight is fine assuming the trucks have decent low back support or room for a cushion. One other problem worth mentioning, I recently developed a hemmorhoid. Long time sitting in airport, then long flightin a very uncomfortable seat, then more airport sitting and another flight. Its pretty embarrassing to admit but I hope to get it treated very soon and be past it. Not sure if this is going to be a long term recurring problem or not but I assume a lot of truckers may be dealing with the same thing from the continuous sitting. I take a few meds but nothing that would disqualify me for driving (as far as I can tell) except the muscle relaxers for my back. I very rarely ever use those and only at night.

I have just lost my dead end job inthe manufacturing industry making $12hr. and I don't have alot of other skills. I do have schooling (two A.S. degrees in the automotive field) and solid knowledge in the automotive industry (auto tech/ mechanic training) but I have a bad back so that is a jobI wouldn't be able to do full time, or possibly even part time. Part time in that field would mean workingat another dead end place doing lube jobs and washing cars if I was real lucky.I began schooling to get a job as a drafter but the recent seperation means Ino longer have the funds that I did to support that easily. The drafting schooling will take another year and a half (or possibly two depending on scheduling) to complete and may likely not have benefits or any kind of retirement plan once I do actually find a job in that field- those are tremendously important to me right now too. Not to mention I would likelybe competing with Architects and Engineers for jobs. Because my wife and I do, and have done our taxes jointly for the past several years, I do not qualify for financial aid for schooling, or lowincome housing. It will be that way until atleast next year, possibly the oneafter- assuming I can make it that far down the line..

That is my background thus far. As you can tell, I've not got the odds stacked in my favor. I'm extremely nervous, lost, scared, frustrated, worried, and just plan confused trying to figure out all these major aspects of my life in a relatively short span of time. Questions and a lot more to follow in the next post. Would appreciate any comments, concerns, questions, or anything else helpful or not.

Seeing your life laid out and written down on paper can be tough to look at. Downright depressing even.

-alone

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get a DOT physical on your own money to see if you're qualified for trucking. If the doctor finds some disqualifiers, then you can get those corrected so you are qualified. Trucking companies require the CPAP machine to have a readout so they know you are using it properly.

Friend of mine weighs 300 lbs. + and has no problem trucking. He's a tanker driver and climbs on top of tanks and walks around up there; been doing it for years.

There you go, get that DOT physical.

4. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    The only issue I see based on what you've said is your back problem. Not sure how bad it is but if it's not terrible you should be alright. Trucking can be pretty rough on the body though so losing weight probably would be a good idea (I've been telling myself that for a while now LOL)

One thing for certain though is the muscle relaxers are going to be a big no no. I highly doubt you will ever be able to take those driving a CMV even with a prescription.

5. alone

alone Light Load Member

I appreciate the advice. I've downloaded the paper work and began filling it out. I plan to go into the Dr. in the coming week or next. The questions regarding chronic back and sleep disorders is what lead me to searching and even mentioning it in the post above. I see there is a great deal of drivers out there that use or refuse to use CPAP's and that there is a lot of varied info out there about dealing with while being a trucker.

6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Try to loose the weight, it will do wonders on not just your physical health but also your mental health. The easiest way to start is not to worry so much about hard exercise, but a simple walk at a even a slow pace will help tremendously. The second half of it is what you put through your mouth. You would be amazed at how fast the pounds will fall off if you do a few simple things, the first being switching your liquid intake to diet pop and water. You can loose a pound a day in the beginning. As the weight comes off you should start feeling more and more mentally prepared to take the world by the ###.

Trucking might be perfect for you, as far as your social situation needs are currently. A lot of over the road (OTR) truck drivers keep to themselves, don't really want to be bothered. If you so desire, you can occasionally find remotely stimulating conversation in a restaurant - or some truck stops have other activities within walking distance you can take advantage of. Movie theaters come to mind. On the other hand, if you don't want to talk to anyone, maybe you want to cruise the internet and be by yourself, you can just hang out in your truck.

Do you have your own personal money you can use to go to a truck driving school? Does your living situation have issues that need to be wrapped up immediately? Even if you had to park your belongings at your mom's place for a few months, once you get on the road, you will likely be spending at least 6 out of 7 or even 13 out of 14 days on the road, living in the truck. Maybe even longer if you want.

You will get through this. Plenty of people here to answer your questions or just to lend an ear. Contrary to popular belief, we are not all just a bunch of a-holes ...

7. GAPathfinder

GAPathfinder Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Alone,
    Like the previous post suggested you may want to get a DOT physical done. They cost approximately $100. This industry can provide you a decent lifestyle, but can also be miserable for those that do not adopt the required flexibility and requirements of the lifestyle, as this is not just a job but a lifestyle choice.

I was weighing in at 365 lbs, but have lost 35 lbs since coming back out on the road by exercising and watching what I eat, as you can easily fall into the typical poor eating and sitting too much that may cause you further problems.

My main concern with you is that back issue, which is why you need to see if you can pass a DOT Physical, as this will be a regular requirement. And you should expect to have to climb in and out of the truck 8 - 10 times a day, up on the trailer (even vans have to be swept out from time to time).

My other concern in your post is that you are considering trucking based on your going through a divorce and the depressed state of mind you are in. You may want move back with your mother for a short time to do some serious soul searching and consider all your options instead of reacting in your present state of mind. We tend to make poor decisions when in a state of turmoil and chaos. However, I would recommend that you pursue some positive outlets such as walking daily to exercise (30-45 minutes a day), as you will find that this will burn stress to help you physically and mentally to make better proactive choices about your future.

Good Luck and may GOD Bless you!!!

hairytruckerswife Thanks this.
  8. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    May also want to cruise around on youtube, lots of truck drivers there making videos

9. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Take a short holiday if you can. Try and find out first about getting a place to squat and a job lined up.
    Then like I said take a short holiday. If you got your passport go someplace you allways wanted to go.
    That way you come back fresh and ready to take on the world.

10. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
    I truly appreciate the fact that you put the good-the bad-and the ugly in your post. That must have been tough. But the one thing for me that I see missing in your post is your desire-enthusiasm-long time dream or whatever to become a truck driver. It has the appearance that you are turning to trucking out of pure desperation. At the moment you are experiencing a major life change (divorce), have somewhat serious health problems (back, overweight, etc.), and looming financial problems.
    I suggest you try to get your life in order as much as you can on your home turf before jumping out there in the trucking world. Others here can speak better than I can about how it is usually important to have some stability in life before hitting the road. Otherwise my opinion is that in your current situation you probably are a pretty good candidate for failure, particularly in the OTR world.
    Anyway, good luck to you in whatever you choose.

jjsiegal Thanks this.
  11. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Also, what is your location?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.