Lost

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by alone, Jun 9, 2014.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Charging it to a credit card is out of the question? Even if you can't start making payments for a few months, probably still come out ahead. I don't imagine you would be totally screwed for doing that (credit wise) .... maybe take out a cash advance of say 500, and pay them back out of that until you start making enough money ...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Í would charge the school on credit, if I needed too. The cash advance is at a worse annual percentage rate. Use a second card for the cash advance. They pay off the lowest % date first.

4. BigBluePeter

BigBluePeter Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2009
    I don't don't want to burst your bubble or anything but if Schieder has the same physical requirements that they had when I went there you probably wont pass and be sent home. I was and Im not that big of a dude. Have a back up plan man.

5. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Take it from me. Had three cash advances including title loan now I'm filing bankruptcy

6. alone

alone Light Load Member

My previous post got deleted some how? Not sure what happened there. Anyways..

I attended the second WIA workshop today. Was a day outlining things about "the hidden job market". Basically things you should do when a company is not actively advertising for help wanted. Relying on networking, cold calling, walk in's, and such to help find employment. Another class of mostly common sense stuff but again, probably everyone would take a little something home from it.

Wrote the "why I want WIA funding letter". Includes stuff like, costs of schooling, DMV fees, time frame of schooling, how and why I think the funding will be used to make for a brighter future for myself.

Got other documents ready, old pay stubs, vehicle registration, proof of insurance, etc.

Did some market labor research on the websites they wanted me to look at. Finding info like: what are the basics required to get a job, annual mean wages nationally and in the state, abilities, education, and skills required, etc.

Also applied for unemployment. Counselor continued urging me to do that. I don't think its going to work out but at least I can say I tried. Any help is welcomed so fingers crossed.

Appointment is set for Friday with a counselor, or a panel of them, I'm not entirely sure. I'm hoping to get some idea of time line and other requirements then. I'll post up what I find out.

Also continued studying the CDL manual and practice tests. Having a little trouble with the doubles/ triples but still passing every time. Are there any other study guides out there? The California CDL manual isn't the greatest at explaining some things. I'll be begin HAZMAT tonight or tomorrow, after I get to a solid score every time I'll head down to the DMV and try to knock them all out in one day. The DMV appointments are backed up for three weeks, so I'm going to have to just walk in and hope I can get them taken care of. Maybe hit it first thing in the morning or something.

Schneider won't be the only place I apply. I only know about the training that I watched on their what-to-expect during orientation training video. The only thing I had wondered about was, why are they weighing and checking peoples heights? That seems like discrimination if they eliminate someone for either of those things. I could understand if you were 3 feet tall or 8 feet tall or there was very clearly a problem with you not being able to do the job, but otherwise..? Seems the DOT screening should filter out those things?

I didn't see anything that I wouldn't be able to do on the video though, but you are right, I will have other places to apply at if I can't make the cut. I could do the things they showed, crouching under a table, climbing on a table set at the trailers height, lift the weighted crates and such. Even if its repetitious for a few minutes I could pass it. If its a few hours doing toe touches and lifting 150 pound crates from the ground to chest then things might be different.

I won't be taking advances for sure. As it is my credit card has a high rate, so it would be a last case scenario since it would take some time to pay off. I'm going to be needing my good credit to find a home in a few months. May or may not be working at that point so I'll have to rely on my credit to hopefully find something.

7. CrappieJunkie

Mar 9, 2014
    Do wia. Pain in the arse but its what I did and worked for me

8. alone

alone Light Load Member

That's the plan for now. I'm just trying to push their paperwork back to them as quickly as possible. Hoping to find out some kind of time frame this Friday.

9. CrappieJunkie

Mar 9, 2014
    Good luck. If you had to sit through their class yet??? That is worst part. Will be worth it though when u get your cdl

10. alone

alone Light Load Member

I sat through two of the two hour workshops so far. The sign off paper has six or so spots for classes, not sure if I will be required to fill the whole sheet or not, no one has said anything to me about it. I hope not though as that will push everything back atleast another two weeks because of the class rotation schedule. I should have more answers when I go in Friday.

11. 70s_driver

70s_driver Medium Load Member

May 4, 2014
    yea that's one of the biggest conveniences of being a trucker. You have all 48 states to look for a job in, regardless to where you live. That gives you much more chance of finding exactly what you are looking for. If you don't find what you are looking for in your state, you can always look in others and still, quite possibly, remain where you live.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.