Lot Lizards and Other Riff-Raff

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jedi_tev, Oct 18, 2008.

1. jedi_tev

jedi_tev Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks guys for all the good advice, even some of was in jest, lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jedi_tev

jedi_tev Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I just though that some local laws might deicde it was illegal, that's all.

4. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    Don't leave your dome light on, either. I've been out here 10 months and had it happen once when I woke up too early to leave. Was in the truck with the dome light on playing on the laptop and got the knock.

As far as the thumper, who cares? It's a tool I use for my job, just like the steering windshield wipers. I actually use a hammer to thump my tires. I also carry my pocket knife--real small, but uses razor blades. Been patted down before and they were unable to find it, but I've also been bleeding before and wondered what happened.

5. MrsSandman

MrsSandman Light Load Member

I've noticed that they aren't as bad as they used to be even within the short time I was truckin.

I was going to school through NAU online and we were in LA at the TA West and I was in the driver's seat with the laptop on the steering wheel and a driver pulled in next to us (hubby was in the bunk)) and the other driver thought I was a lizards. Sorry buddy...I have all my teeth and I don't smell like 15 day old garbage in the middle of the desert.

I've been asked. If they would knock on the truck and the hubby would get up and say no thanks and if they would keep coming back then I would get up. I wasn't nice about it. They got me out of bed. I'd never punch one without putting a glove on first. Never know where they've been.

6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    On or off the dome light doesn't mean much now days. If a liz is gonna knock they is gonna knock.

7. CMoore2004

CMoore2004 Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2007
    OTR
    Then I guess it's just coincidence. I do know that's the only time they've knocked while I was awake. Perhaps they just know us Roehl drivers are going broke. ;) Or maybe it's because I have the condo and they think I'm a trainer/team.

8. mizz_b_havin

mizz_b_havin Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2008
    winter haven, fl.
    I must say, My hubby and I have never had one knock on our doors, I make sure I am seen when we're pulling into a truckstop. And if they look at me, I give em that "look" LOL If ya know what I mean. Dont even think about it. The only problems we have had with brave people gettin up on our steps, is an addict lookin for a hand out, or other people selling trinkets of some sort. My advice to you would be, NEVER roll your window all the way down, to talk to anyone you dont know. Keep your doors locked at all times. Just use common sense out there and you'll be fine. It's always better to be over cautious, than to be sorry for not being cautious later.

9. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Reason I say it don't matter..... I've had em knockin on the doors when its pitch black and my curtains pulled.

I've also had em come by when it was too light outside to need a dome light on.

10. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    I've decided to hand out religious tracts. :yes2557: I'm going to do the lot lizards just like the people (persistent religious groups) who come knocking on my front door. Hand them a tract and tell them Jesus loves them, most the time they all but race down the sidewalk.

11. rikdev50s

rikdev50s Medium Load Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Greer, SC
    You are not right! Man! That's just plain sick... if it works for ya then well, who am I to say. I just tell them to go away and that I am sick...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.