Loud exhaust

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Highwolf89, Jan 31, 2015.

1. MsTi

MsTi Bobtail Member

May 16, 2019
    Stop overuse of air brakes.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MsTi

MsTi Bobtail Member

May 16, 2019
    I do not understand why so many male OTR drivers are so fixated on having loud pipes. I mean, are your lives so meaningless that you have to take enjoyment out of being aggravating to people? I have been at a gas station in a zero elevation location and some dork has to come in and used his air brakes. Usually when I get a look at the operator I can tell why he feels the need to overcompensate. I have also lived near a highway that has a hill and there are always those guys who have to use the air brakes. Don’t worry, bad manners will catch up with you.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    What state is that, I have never been bothered anywhere at all, and as far as I knew Colorado was the only one with a law against them, and that is only if you also have a compression brake.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    How do you stop?

6. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    You have absolutely no idea what your saying. Without “Air brakes”, with have no brakes period. Get your facts correctly friend, what your are referring to Air brakes, is called “Engine brakes” also known as jake brake or Jacobs. And you are correct, some individuals abuse them. Even though I’m in favor of engine brakes with “straight pipes”, there is a respectful way of using them.

7. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Thank you!!!! That's just funny!!

8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Most states have that law.
    IL:
    (625 ILCS 5/12-602) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12-602)
    Sec. 12-602. Mufflers, prevention of noise.
    Every motor vehicle driven or operated upon the highways of this State shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler or exhaust system in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all the requirements of this Section.
    (Source: P.A. 77-37.)

MO:
    307.170. Other equipment of motor vehicles — violations, penalty. —

2. Muffler cutouts: Muffler cutouts shall not be used and no vehicle shall be driven in such manner or condition that excessive and unnecessary noises shall be made by its machinery, motor, signaling device, or other parts, or by any improperly loaded cargo. The motors of all motor vehicles shall be fitted with properly attached mufflers of such capacity or construction as to quiet the maximum possible exhaust noise as completely as is done in modern gas engine passenger motor vehicles. Any cutout or opening in the exhaust pipe between the motor and the muffler on any motor vehicle shall be completely closed and disconnected from its operating lever, and shall be so arranged that it cannot automatically open, or be opened or operated while such vehicle is in motion.

TX:
    Sec. 547.604
    Muffler Required
    (a)
    A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise.
    (b)
    A person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle.

I'm 3 for 3 so far...should I keep going?

9. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    where is the violin emoji.
    By chance, Do you even know what air brakes are? You mention them frequently in your post

10. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    That guy is some homeowner who signed up on the forum just to cry about trucks. Like its the truckers fault he bought a house on a trucking route on a downgrade. Hes the one who should be kicking himself in the butt. Stop using air brakes and use your flintstone feet

Oxbow, D.Tibbitt and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  11. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Nope, those are commonly known, also for all my life time,commonly been for private gasoline autos, even a diesel pickup will pass inspection in most states with no muffler, right up till they started putting the exhaust emmissions on it. Again cColorado does have a law that outlaws straights on trucks IF the truck is equipped with jske brakes, the brakes does not have to even hooked up to be fined. In other words you can't pull the wires off of them to go through Colorado and get caught.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  12. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    The law does not differentiate between private and commercial, gasoline and diesel, etc. Just because it is not regularly enforced does not mean that it cannot or will not be enforced.

You might also want to give §393.94 a read, as it sets a maximum noise level inside the cab...measured at the engines governor (or maximum rated speed if not equipped). How loud are your straight pipes at 1800+ RPM?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.