Love hate relationship with my Mack.

Discussion in 'Mack Forum' started by ChicagoJohn, Aug 10, 2016.

1. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Radiator is new. Now that's it's not 90°, it seems to be running cooler. More down around 220-225 loaded. 210 when mt.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    So, I finally got figured out why the oil temps were running so high. It was a programming issue. I had the ecm reprogrammed and truck is running much better now. I did lose some power, but I'm working on getting that fixed.

4. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    you might check and see what your accual oil temp is, mine is a different family of mack engine e-7 but oil temps always ran high on it, stayed under 250 but just, running synthetic oil was higher than i would like to see but synthetic should hold up to that temp. so i ran it, then after a while i noticed the oil temps reading 110-120 on the gauge turning the key on after the truck had been off 24 hours or so and ambient temps 60 or so. warmed the truck up and checked the temps at the oil filter/pan with a lazer thermo and found the oil temp reading was off by 60 degrees or so.

5. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Well, for the 2nd time in 7-8 months truck is going back to Mack for injectors. It's losing prime overnight and it's hard to stay in the morning. I have a bad stutter at highway speeds and no power. At least it's under warranty this time. I wish someone sold aftermarket injectors for these motors, Volvo has a really bad reputation for bad injectors.

6. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    This is why I can't afford to install cups/injectors on these engines at my shop anymore. Takes me 8-10 weeks to get money back from Volvo for failed parts (if they give it back) They treat you like "this type of parts failure does not happen often, you need to review your repair procedures"

ChicagoJohn Thanks this.
  7. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Does not happen often? Bwahahahaha
    I'm sitting at Mack and the service manager got a good laugh at that one.

8. Dadetrucking305

Dadetrucking305 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    Any updates on the injector issues?
    Also what do you think of the Mack so far?

9. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    When I posted that last year, things got bad really fast. The injectors did go bad, but even worse the head went bad. 2 injectors were seeded so bad the mechanic couldn't get the feeler gauge in. So since it had 900,000 miles and the rods & mains were due, I ended to doing a full overhaul. Took 6-7 weeks. Got it back just after July 4th. Ran really good till Oct, then I started having a miss. I think I had an injector going bad, but since Mack already did an injector set under warranty during the inframe, they wouldn't warranty it again. I had had enough and I sold the truck and bought a used glider with a 12.7 Detroit. While I miss the Mack and loved that truck, best decision I made was buying the glider. I just didn't trust the Mack anymore.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.