Low Beam Headlight socket keeps getting burnt and melted

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by mariogh, May 30, 2016.

1. mariogh

mariogh Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2014
    My truck is an International Prostar, 2009, cummins ISX engine.
    I have replaced several low beam headlight sockets so far and every new socket I install , lasts about 1 to 2 months. After that it starts to melt and burn right where it connects to the bulb.
    Last time I used this model from autozone :
    Dorman Conduct-Tite model 84793
    High temperature socket. Bulb 9006.

Is there a better quality/longer lasting socket brand? Or is there a way to prevent the "burning/melting" (other than not using the headlights) ?
    Anyone upgraded to LED headlights on this model? I read some articles about "Truck-lite LED headlights" being used on International Prostar, but can't find a place that sells them.

Thanks for any advice/ideas !

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    try superbrightleds.com . . . .

4. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    I'd be checking the ground for that light.

5. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Headlights get hot, but they SHOULDN'T get hot enough melt the connection. You have a wiring issue, not a connector issue.

mariogh and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. Prostar or no star

Prostar or no star Bobtail Member

May 10, 2017
    Good day i have the same trouble with my 2008 i was wondering if u found out what the problem was .any help would be awome

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Many head light connectors you buy are only 14 or smaller gauge wire. You need a good quality 10 or 12 gauge wire and proper size spade terminal connected to it. Melting is from heat, heat is from high resistance. High resistance is from too small wire gauge, or poor quality terminals, or loose or poor fitting terminals.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  8. Windwashed

Windwashed Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2018
    The ground in the harness couldn't cause heating in the connector. It's the lousy connectors internal contact wipes, they're too thin and made of the wrong alloy. Look for a ceramic American-made connector. Solder the wires of the connector to your harness and use a couple of layers of heatshrink to insulate the connection. Apply a little anti-oxidation paste such as NyLox to the bulb contacts (used to protect copper-aluminum bonds.) That will be a life-time repair.
    You should also replace the bulbs because the contacts have been damaged due to heat & corrosion.

9. Snorkelbobby

Snorkelbobby Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Yes, you need a Motorcraft pigtail kit, HU2Z-14S411-KA (WPT 1497) which has silver plated terminals and 14 gauge wire, 10 inches long to acgt as a heat sink to keep the terminal cooler. The problem with this H11 bulb is it gets way too hot at the 2 terminals and they overheat and begin to get loose. This creates even more heat until the connector melts. The production terminals are usually tin plated and the wire gauge is usually 18 gauge which is too small and won't wick away any heat. So, install the pigtail kits and don't shorten the wires because you want as much heat sink as you can get.

10. IH owner

IH owner Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2019
    The melting is caused by high current draw in the low beam circuit, not the hot bulb. Look for a connector with corroded terminal, when cleaned and securely reconnected the problem will go away. Look at the large connector that connects the wire harness from the light to the chassis wire harness.

starmac Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.