Low driver's seat?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Flyingdriver, Jan 17, 2021.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    See, here's the deal on this. Years ago, you NEEDED an air chair. With Reyco, Camelback or any non-air ride Hendrickson suspensions, an air ride seat was quite the luxury. Most had those old hydraulic ones. Today, with air ride cabs, suspension and what not, it's entirely possible not to need air in the chair. I think it's a safety issue.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I have no air in the seat but im only 5"7 so my feet would be dangling off the floor if i had it aired up

D.Tibbitt and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  4. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I can’t have air in my chair in the old Pete. The small window unilite cabs have low headroom and if you sit too high you have to duck down just to look out the side window.
    Also bouncing up and down on a mechanical fuel peddle makes for some great organ music from the stacks.
    Your left leg gets sore digging into the floor board to keep the rest of the body from bouncing out of the seat.

Cattleman84, 201 and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  5. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Which base do you have? I definitely want to swap mine out and get the seat lower, just don't know which one to get.

6. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Universal base from 4 states, had to measure and drill holes in base to match
    Holes in floor of my star car

7. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I’ve got family friends that own a gravel pit Locally with an old brockway that I drive without air in the seat, mainly because it doesn’t even have the option.....

201 Thanks this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Many of us remember the old Bostrom Viking "T-Bar" hydraulic seats. Trucks that had juice brakes and no air, this was as good as it got.
    Pair of Bostrom Viking T-Bar Commercial Truck Seats

9. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I don’t see how people drive with air in the seat. To me it’s almost a safety hazard trying to hit the brake while you’re bouncing up and down. Every truck I drive is flat on the floor. Like someone else said, if I have air in it, it’s because the sun is bright and I’m trying to get up behind the visor but I let it down as soon as I get out of the sun. Don’t see how anyone drives totally out of synch with the truck and all the controls movement.

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  10. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I keep just enough air in my seat so that it won't bottom out when I hit a bump or go through a dip on the highway. Also, I like having my thighs parallel to the floor - I'm not a fan of having my knees up higher than my hip joints.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.