Low gear in high range

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by The Counselor, May 16, 2021.

1. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    It is there, But I was told not to use it, as it runs off the back side of reverse or something, anyway I quit using it. Now most of our trucks have automatics so it is not an issue.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
  4. John E.

John E. Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2021
    New Brunswick
    Your right Don379. Learned that lesson the hard way 35 yrs ago. And roughly $6000.00 dollars later. Had a problem taking advice from the million milers or more at that time. One of the reasons that trucking came harder for me.

Don379 Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well someone discovered a secret.

see a lot of misinformation is thrown out there but here is the truth from Eaton.

While you can use the high range lo gear, what it does, no matter the load is, is stress the auxiliary unit to the point it breaks the unit.

the auxiliary unit isn’t designed for the load that a 12 or 14 to 1 ratio that the lo gear is, which with 1400 ft lbs of torque from the engine can do a lot of damage to a unit that should be seeing something from a 8.5 to 1 ratio.

wis bang, BoxCarKidd and John E. Thank this.
  6. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Full disclosure my auto hauling trucking business that brings me to this forum is only a part time part of my business I started in 2006 to get me temporarily out of the shop from the constant telephone ringing and the overwhelming pull of customer relations.
    My main claim to fame is a transmission builder and shop owner of more than thirty years.
    I am not sure of the reasoning why Eaton doesn’t recommend using low in high range but I do know the low range gear spins the same rpm in low range as it does in high range because the INPUT rpm to that gear is the same no matter what range the back half of the transmission is in.

7. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Not even almost. Never went to truck driving school either

8. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    someone will correct me because I know I know I’m about to screw this up, but I believe where low gear is in the front box can’t handle to torque of high range going through the back box, as well as not having the ratios line up you have a better chance of chipping teeth, then the actual size of the actual gear as well as the bearings that makes it 14:1 cannot handle the torque of being 2-4:1 or whatever ratio it comes out to

8LL also has that gear, the performance 9 speed is pretty much shifted like a 10 iirc just don’t use one of the holes by the passenger seat on the low side

John E. and lester Thank this.
  9. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    My understanding is the contact patten from counter shaft to main shaft is to little in that position for HP/TQ in high range. Plus possibility of gear clash with reverse.

Limited contact pattern. I dont do it, some do.

10. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

The rear overdrive in a 13 is supported in a bushing, 18 speed has a bearing.

John E. Thanks this.
  11. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    The perplexing problem for me is the thirteen speed and the 10 speed for the most part have the same or pretty close to the same low gear ratio.
    The ten speed ####s the low gear on the high side every time through the gears yet the thirteen speed does not?
    One thing I do notice is 6th gear in the ten speed and 5th direct in the thirteen are a comparable gear ratio.
    With that being said it leads me to believe for 95 percent of the time using low gear on the high side on a thirteen the gear ratio would be to low for the engine torque and road speed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.