Low rates

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 4Cs Freight, Jan 30, 2019.

1. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I did, and things are progressing nicely. :)

If I relied entirely on the load boards I would be hurting, but I have my own clients.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I am twisting the knife... ))) Friend of mine who was in the trucking 1.5 years bought a new truck last October. Just called me asked me if I want to take over...

adayrider Thanks this.
  4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    if rates will continually go down your clients will fly away ..

adayrider Thanks this.
  5. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I know a guy. Oh it hurts to listen when he calls

mhyn Thanks this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    A blanket statement that the megas will not pull cheap freight is just plain false. We used to bale hay in Kansas, there were several big companies that would haul it to Texas, much cheaper than we could on our own paid for truck, period. I kept the road burned up, but would typically load 10 trucks and take one to pickup the check. If I didn't have a need, I would have not untracked, period. They bid the loads, no way would we have thought to offer them what they bid it for either.

SL3406 and 6wheeler Thank this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    If the spot market is dead for a while, all the brokers and trucking companies will start calling your clients and offer to do it for much less.
    Guess what, your customer will ask you to match or get out. If you get out, there is a chance, that you will get those loads back, but for that to happen, your competitors really gotta provide crappy service.

8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    If it's a regular dry van freight, its pretty hard to mess it up. I was doing 1000 miles loads for my direct customer for $3000. 0% failure rate. A broker offered to take over for $2400, now someone is doing it for $2000. Guess what, it's been a year and I was not offered to take those loads back, unless I match the price

9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    That happens when rates are good, it seems like anytime someone thinks you are making good money, there will be multiple people willing to cut the rates, and it takes forever for them to get back to where they should be, if ever.

10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Only two ways out of it.
    1. Economy will expand further to encompass all that recent increased capacity.
    2. Attrition. This is more realistic. The current rates are too low for many already, especially those who recently added equipment, hired drivers and are relying on load boards at the same time. These rates are already at the level of April - May 2017 but they keep mowing downward. Now would be the time for a reverse trend which is nowhere to be seen.
    Who knows... maybe being able to make a living at 1.50 per mile for the next year and half will be what it takes to endure this.

runningman0661 and fordconvert Thank this.
  11. jlafume

jlafume Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Victorville,Ca
    #### I hope not, there is still money there but it's getting harder an harder 2 find

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.