Low rates

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 4Cs Freight, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    I got a job at McDonald’s for minimum wage-it doesn’t pay as much as being a lawyer (which I have all the qualifications for) but I hit my daily revenue goal and I KNOW the money is there.

If you can’t take risks- being a business owner will only prove to show others you have no business being IN business.

I’m NOT smarter than everybody else: so how is it that SO many people buy trucks and have no idea how to run a trucking company?? Is it just this forum that’s filled with “I can do it cheaper” business models? I never saw hotdog carts cutting the price of hotdogs to brag about how much work they do for the same or less money as the next hotdog cart.
    If you’ll take a cheap load to get to good paying freight: lease on to a carrier.

There’s less work in February. Rates are low because all the people that don’t know how to make money didn’t stack any for the rest of the year and have to be out there trying to scrounge a buck. There’s lots of them so, supply and demand means the need for trucks goes down 75% but only 25% of the capacity leaves the market during that timeframe: that means rates go down.

Hopefully all y’all learn to read and pickup books on how to run a business.

I’d make a lot of people successful if I wrote a how to on being a small carrier. I’d make myself way more successful if I got my brokerage license and just let all you “ work for less” folks line my pockets whilst driving yourself to the poor house.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink.
    You can’t talk horse sense to a horse’s ###.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    What if there are no other options? Then you deadhead to the better market, without a guarantee that you'll be paid for those miles. Or you sit and wait like some do, also losing money. I'm sorry I can't fathom the long deadheads to loads that pay $3 per loaded mile. I've heard of this driver who deadhead from Miami to Decatur, AL for a load. Now does one make money doing that? That's a whole day and change lost just to deadheading. I don't get it.

4. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    There is always option.
    Learn market, don't go into black holes like Florida even they pay you good rate.
    Free cheese only in trap! Work smarter, not harder.

5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    What’s tough is when the head hauls get down to 2/mi and the backhauls down to 1/mi. There are no money lanes “getting in” at that point. It almost is a vicious cycle because then you need the backhaul even more then you would otherwise.

I do not like running empty. I’m more on the plan for it going in so your overall rate per mile is acceptable taking a cheap load out. What you have to decide is to hop and skip back to where you want to go, triangle back, turn and burn with a cheap load, or just haul ### back empty. At that point it’s not only daily revenue goals that was talked about but also managing your time therefor you could call it weekly revenue goals. First option keeps your rate per mile pumped up but takes more dock time which could hurt your weekly goals, 2nd is a good option sometimes depending on the area of the country, 3rd option less per mile but positions you quick for another good one, and last option lowest per mile but positions even quicker.

Decisions decisions.

6. DLJ

DLJ Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2017
    the rate are horrible in florida , and barely loads , yes that make sense deadheading

7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    3.95 cash price. Anyone paying cash price deserves to be ripped off.

8. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Unplanned long dead heads aren't compensated. Planned dead heads always are compensated. I don't get paid to dead head, but i know ahead of time if im going to need a long deadhead to a good load so i got paid more going in.

It's really not that complicated. Got a load to Denver? Sure I'll run it but it's going to pay enough to absorb the cost getting back out.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    RSB34, BoostedTeg, bryan21384 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I just got 2.51 a mile(ttt) out of Miami. Legal sized flatbed freight. But you won't find those loads on public load boards. If you want the good stuff you got to put some effort in.

10. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Depends did that pa varmit, see his shadow today. If so another 6 weeks.

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Or to stay away

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.