Low rates

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 4Cs Freight, Jan 30, 2019.

1. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Are you sure it's cardboard and not trash?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I get that. However, you might be assuming the big boys haul those loads at the same rate?

I know the company I used to work for (on the inside) had contracted rates that were generally 40-50% higher than the spot lane rates. Obtained primarily because of capacity. Shippers essentially cut out the brokerage mark-up in order to ensure a certain amount of capacity.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    That's true.

It's like playing a game of chess sometimes, especially when capacity in the market increases and the gravy train slows to a crawl ;-)

5. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    A friend of mine that lived up the road from me growing up owns one of the mega trucking companies. Got that info straight from him. It's easier for him to take the bailed cardboard from the broker for $1.00 then direct for $1.25. He said there is no paperwork or anything else involved.

He actually has a whole fleet of trucks dedicated to running from Ohio to NH and VT then back from Mass to Ohio.

6. kenn2632

kenn2632 Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2010
    baltimore,maryland
    So you're not hurting for cash and still willing to support cheap ### freight ????

JonJon78 Thanks this.
  7. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    I dont think you know the rates I'm hauling for nor will I discuss them on this board. I have some lanes I work that haven't completely tanked yet , I will keep on running thru the winter like the last 2 yrs . Like I said you guys stay home and I'm gonna keep moving . Only time I had a negative month is the first month I activated my Authority , insurance, truck down payment and trailer down payment. Good luck I'm out of this thread.

thaistick, spyder7723 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  8. kenn2632

kenn2632 Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2010
    baltimore,maryland
    Oh ok, well now that makes sense. If you got it going on like that, i wouldn't dare discuss it on this board or any other online site with anyone either. You got something special going on that alot of us are looking for or trying to get and not dealing with all these insulting rates.

9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    So your friend who owns a mega trucking carrier gives up 25% of revenue in a low margin industry to not have to handle billing? Ya i call bs on the that story.

There was a small amount of truth in that story tho, tmc and melton both pull scrap cardboard out of the northeast, but they don't do it for a buck a mile.

thaistick Thanks this.
  10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Here's a thought, while spot market rates have fallen a bit from 2018, they are still much higher than they were in the last major downturn in the economy.

You guys that are struggling to get a profitable rate today need to get your house in order cause this ain't nothing. The next real recession will send you into bankruptcy if you don't prepare for it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  11. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    I still say it's not cardboard and it's garbage. Pretty sure they put the cardboard on a boat to china.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.