LTL companies with automatic transmissions ...

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by surfgod83, Apr 25, 2018.

1. surfgod83

surfgod83 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Hello,

I was recently contacted by ACT (AAA Cooper) for an LTL position out of Charlotte, NC and the site manager said that they had all new 2017 automatic tractors. I was wondering is this the way that linehaul is heading and which linehaul companies are running automatic fleets. Any information you guys/girls can provide is most appreciated. Thank you.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Aces-N-Eights

Aces-N-Eights Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    It seems that more and more fleets are moving to the Automatic transmissions. I think the "big carrier" thinking on automatics is that it reduces the training time for new drivers. As far as linehaul companies, it may be the same thing - I do have friends that driver for Averitt and ODFL and they both have manual trans. Just about every company (it seems) has a mixed bag. This is a question that I would pose to each recruiter or company rep to see if a preference is available.

4. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Yes, we (UPSF) are getting nothing but automateds.

This may or may not be a good thing. The automated does not necessarily do a better job than a driver. At the same token, it's kind of nice not having to shift. So here, you have something more expensive and complex (which is more difficult and costly to repair) for what benefit?

Some drivers prefer a manual. i'm not necessarily one of them.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    P.S.
    i am NOT referring to REAL automatic transmissions with torque converters---like an ALLISON. If that were the case, then yes, hands down i would favor them.

What we are talking about is AUTOMATED contraptions, where a manual transmission is being shifted by a computer using air and electric servos.

Mike2633 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  6. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    It appears that all LTL Carriers are moving to auto except ODFL. At least here in houston, they are bringing the new model freightshakers with stick and what I was told it appears that they won't bring automatics anytime soon.

7. surfgod83

Jun 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Appreciate all of the feedback guys. At this point ACT (AAA Cooper) would be a lateral move and wouldn’t do anything besides get me started with some linehaul experience. I may hold off until one of the better companies comes along. Obviously I would prefer automatics over manual seeing I haven’t drove a manual for over 5 years.

8. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    I was told when i got into LTL than autos get better MPGs. I guess OD feels that having their drivers use progressive shipping (which sucks by the way, who would want to drive like that?) gets better MPGs than autos.

I prefer the autos, I hate clutching/shifting. It isnt as fun in a truck as it is in a muscle car.

1029384746 and joshuapowell61 Thank this.
  9. surfgod83

Jun 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    That’s a fact. I drive a 6 speed car on the weekends from time to time but #### sure don’t want to do it every day at work. I know Averitt has a full fleet of autos here in Charlotte and that AAA Cooper has a full fleet of autos. Not sure about the other companies. I’ve heard some less than desirable things about AAA Cooper though.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  10. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    FedEx Freight has all autos. Missed a 10 speed at first but I like em now. I’m not sure if I’d want an auto out West with all the mountains.

11. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    what trucks does AAA Cooper run?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.