LTL companies with automatic transmissions ...

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by surfgod83, Apr 25, 2018.

1. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Hey man, don't shoot the messenger

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truck_guy

truck_guy Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2015
    SE MI
    Autos saved a lot of companies a lot of money by not having to train a driver properly.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Coover, shogun, snowlauncher and 3 others Thank this.
  4. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    From capable professionals?

5. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Thank goodness I can drive anything. I prefer automatic hands down. I'm lazy

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  6. Payneisbliss

Payneisbliss Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2017
    I've driven both automatics and manuals and I have to say I prefer manuals by far. Sure automatics are great in traffic you can just sit back and let the computer do all the work but there's been many times when the truck has gotten stuck in gear or wont shift in the middle of rush hour traffic and that's not a good time. I like having control over the truck and plus driving linehaul for ODFL at night it gives me something to do to keep me awake.

roaddoggsteve Thanks this.
  7. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    Automatics can be nice on flat ground in the summertime with a light load. I run linehaul through the Rocky Mountains every night and when I'm pulling a 6% grade with 50k or so in a set of triples and the dadblasted thing upshifts at 1200 RPM it's really annoying. They are also a PITA on slick surfaces. Anyone that's driven them probably knows what I'm talking about. No clutch control and no RPM control...yea, most of the time I prefer a stick.

8. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I had to drive a Freightliner with an Automatic and I didn't care for it when it came to backing. I mean it was fine on the highway and stuff and alright in the city I was in Buffalo, New York, but backing it up I really didn't like, it was to hurkey jerky and I couldn't get the speed right the manuals I found were more controllable when it came to backing that's for sure. Of course the transmission was some Eaton piece of garbage sooooo....

Bob Dobalina and shogun Thank this.
  9. NoSprinkles

NoSprinkles Bobtail Member

May 8, 2018
    Florida

Companies want to conserve on fuel consumption. Wear and tear on transmissions and motors. Ect...

They want to save money. Most are paying drivers more to drive them.

Lag is the biggest complaint.

10. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    Freightliner offers a complete Detroit driveline. This Detroit AMT 12 speed paired with the DD15 is a great set up.. Skip shifts, automatic progressive engine braking. Has this creep mode feature.

its been offered for 2 or 3 years now.

between this prostar w/ultrashift I am in now with this company and the freightliner w/ detroits driveline at the old company, give me the shaker anyday of the week.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  11. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    The truck I drove was a Penske rental truck wasn't even one of my companies trucks it was just a rental that they needed because at times we have more routes and then we have trucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.