LTL Dock Work

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by DoubleC77, Apr 7, 2018.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’m not one to blithely sing the praises of unions like they’re God’s gift to everything, but that type of dick move is one instance where I would gladly welcome the presence of one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lumper with a license

Lumper with a license Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Mississippi
    I’m just asking because I have an interview next week for a city driver job but it sounds more like a dockworker position it’s at a breakbulk center in Jackson ms

4. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Yup, a coworker forgot his wallet swung by his house to pick it up. Another driver notice him going another way and called in on him. He returned to the terminal and was fired. Now he did have every right to be fired. But my old company TM laughed at the interview and said he wouldn’t of cared and hired him. He was at FedEx freight for years worked extra at anytime and was making 80k or more in the city.

Ian2175 Thanks this.
  5. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Fed Ex policies is why I REFUSE to work for a big company. I like the company I work for. If I'm in my home area, and need to use the restroom, I stop at HOME. NO problem.
    Stop at home as long as it won't interfere with getting the deliveries done.
    I have taken pictures of my kids in the truck, when I was near home, and the wife meet me at a fuel stop.

Radman Thanks this.
  6. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    When I hauled steel I always loaded my truck. In the time it took to track down a material handler and pry him out of his chair, I could have it done and just how I wanted it.

Then the co. did away with its private fleet (thanks CSA2010) and went with a logistics carrier, and I wasn't allowed to use the crane any longer.

7. BMac-

BMac- Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Florida
    Pretty good. We just got bumped up to $27.70/hr here

8. BMac-

BMac- Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Florida
    Not yet anyway. They’ve changed almost everything else tho. Ruined the company if you ask me. It’s still a good job but Conway made you feel appreciated..

9. Lumper with a license

Sep 18, 2010
    Mississippi
    I’m gonna hijack this thread if that’s ok so I currently work for us foods and have for 9 years With them as a delivery driver I’m seriously thinking about leaving and going to fed ex as a city driver but apparently I will just be a dockworker with cdl. only reason is I eventually want to do line haul no shuttle jobs at my division unless you are at a drop yard any thoughts. Good move bad move or same ole ####

10. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I have not worked LTL yet, but have visited a few barns. Go visit the local ones and ask what they do out of that location, there are differences. Use this forum as a guide to good companies, but not as a guide to what to expect at any given barn.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  11. Lumper with a license

Sep 18, 2010
    Mississippi
    i am tomorrow just trying to see if anyone else had some ideas maybe from personal experience but I guess not so much.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.