LTL vs OTR

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by truckerjoe06, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I've been Ltl Linehaul for almost 3 yrs been on a forklift 3 times. When we do stops we just swap trailers or spot a trailer and pick up. Not all LTL linehaul(road driver) companies work the dock. They pay dock workers instead.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RJ33RD

RJ33RD Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I heard the yellow drivers don't work the dock.

4. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011

You're nit going to find Any Teamster road board guys working the dock......road guys drive.....local/dock folks work freight......most work you do on a teamster road board is drop/hook.....&that's ONLY if you go into a small barn late nite.....otherwise.....road driver pulls in...local dock/pd guy swaps you out &you're gone.....might drop/hook on a relay.....but some of them still straight slipseat like the old days....lol

RJ33RD Thanks this.
  5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I remember as a young man working with my father, we had a small truck stop and garage that both Yellow and Roadway used as a drop lot (prior to the YRC days). This was in 82 thru 84, they used our yard a a way of getting around the Feds shutting down the Ho Chi Min (US 209), they would each leave a tractor and a set in our lot, road guys would make relay points in our lot, the funny thing was back then they didn't have to do the drop so we would be paid to send someone out to the yard and do the drop and hook for them or rebuild the set, whatever needed to be done. I got a lot of pratice building sets, backing up, and coupling trailers way before I could even drive a car on the road.

Another funny story, occasionally a road driver would have to come down out of Maybrook with a load for Spark O Matic in Milford Pa, the old road drivers were not required to back into a dock, just drive so Yellow would call us out as a road service vendor to dock the trailer and/or do his drop and hook in the trailer lot, quick easy $50 for me and this was way before I even had a car license, my uncle would drive me up there and I would do the work, every one was happy.

Last story about the old Yellow guys, they had a driver who had a girl in Port Jervis and when he wanted a little more time with her he would deliberately over speed his truck coming down the hill into Port by holding in the clutch and free rolling then letting it back out, this blew the fuel pump on the old Detroits, used to do this a few times a year, we would come out and change the pump and he had a few hours with is girl. He got so upset when they started using the pumps that had the mechanical mode and an electric mode, last time he ever blew a fuel pump was when we came out and just switched modes and sent him on his way. He lost time with his girl and the breakdown pay too. The shop never did figure out what he was doing and we didn't tell them, none of our business if they can't figure it out on their own.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.