LTL vs. pickup and delivery

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by west-starern, Dec 26, 2017.

1. west-starern

west-starern Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2017
    Is the word "LTL" and "pickup and delivery" the same thing? Im looking at job postings, and some companies say that they are Local LTL, while others are saying Pickup and Delivery. Although, both are saying you do come back home everyday. So, im just wondering if one if better than the other? I did some researching, and some people said Pickup and Delivery can be a major headache sometimes, so is LTL the way to go? Thanks.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lagging

lagging Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    Ltl is less than truckload.
    P&d is pick up and delivery which is a part of ltl but someone will come in with a full explanation soon

4. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Red light racing sums it up.

207nomad and skinnytrucker Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    It’s the same animal. Pickup and delivery is just one part of it.

Texas_hwy_287 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  6. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Linehaul is the other part.

P&D deals with the customers, and linehaul moves the freight between company terminals. LTL is just the segment of the trucking industry where multiple small shipments are consolidated and moved together, as opposed to truckload.

It is common at my company for P&D drivers to do 20+ stops per day between their deliveries in the morning and pickups in the afternoon. It can be a very intense job, with good problem-solving skills required to deal with the curveballs thrown at you throughout the day. Not for steering wheel holders.

7. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    @Bob Dobalina you sum it up perfectly city P&D we are the grunts of trucking industry. :cool:

8. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I'm glad I did it, because I can truly appreciate what you guys do. There's nothing worse than a linehaul driver who talks trash about city guys. I can't stand that.

9. roadranger550

roadranger550 Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2016
    I have worked in LTL/P&D for years. Most chumps who get tired of long haul treat P&D customers like ####. Your employer doesn't pay you, those customers do. No people skills at all with lots of these jar-heads.

10. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Secretaries, free food, short boxs in town. Whats not to like.

11. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    @roadranger550 you are so right about that, customers are number 1 priority. thats why is good to build a good rapport with them. I can actually say some of those customer treat me like I'm one of them so what's not to like.

roadranger550 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.