Lumper Fees

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Beaver9, Aug 13, 2020.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Been trying to figure out how this lumper thing even exists. Myself.

black_dog106, alds and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Don't take these loads if you have to "borrow" money to complete it. You should have a lot more than $400 to cover the expenses.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It is a good ol boys club crap.

Many businesses especially in the food industry and are non-union would have people hanging around to unload trucks, they don't have dock people so hiring someone was easy to do.

A few businesses allowed at one time to let the employee get a little side money unloaded trucks. I delivered to a place in Mass that was like this, after struggling to get the truck into the dock because of the dumpsters, you get told it will cost $150 to unload - labor cost. Can't unload yourself, insurance would not allow it or so they say.

LoveHateTrucking and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  5. Beaver9

Beaver9 Heavy Load Member

Jun 15, 2020
    I don't have to borrow money. I need the cash flow during the pandemic since nobody knows what is going to happen the following week. I'm paying off debts too, a bit too quickly maybe.
    I left the factoring one month ago, so the first month is tougher before checks might start coming in.

6. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    It is just weird. They have been in business for more than 25 years. Why would a big broker have a problem to prepay the lumper fee?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    alds Thanks this.
  7. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    If you owned a warehouse that netted revenue of $1 million per day would you care who unloaded joe blow from Africa. No lol. So, its just easier on workmans comp to hire a lumper service. Just the way it is nowdays man

8. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
    This thing will continue until trucking companies/OO's start charging a "convenience fee" for the use of their money for a period of time. When paying the fee is more expensive than direct or pre-pay, it will change. Right now, they are borrowing money (from you) for free.

alds, TheLoadOut and Beaver9 Thank this.
  9. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    It's not that hard.

Ask the broker up front BEFORE you settle on a rate if there are any lumper fees.

If so, are they prepaid, do they cover them, if so, is there a charge back fee to you the carrier, or are you expected to cover it and get the reimbursement from them. Once you have that info, negotiate accordingly.

This is pretty fundamental to our industry.

ChevyCam and Beaver9 Thank this.
  10. Beaver9

Jun 15, 2020
    "A convenience fee" should be charged. It is going to be something new to them.
    Hopefully, more people will do it. Since I'm new and want to see how things will go, I won't do it this month. They seem nice to talk to. Hopefully, they will pay as well.
    But I might use it with ones I don't want to work with anymore. Thank you for the tip

11. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    This is a great idea. Although I would still rather prefer to say no to lumper loads. They are just one more spoke in the wheel that doesn't need to be there. Broker, shipper, receiver...lumper?, yeah, no thanks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.