Mack E7 460 motors

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by STR8STAKZ, Feb 21, 2018.

1. STR8STAKZ

STR8STAKZ Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Looking at purchasing a 99 Mack Vision with the E7 460. I know nothing about Mack's or the quality of the engine. The truck has 740,000 miles with 100,000 on a reman engine. Anyone have any experience with these motors? Pros,cons? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i run one. overall pretty happy with it. power is good. and i run heavy 98% of my loads im over 90k gross kinda like driving a 12.7 Detroit though it likes to run wound up, 1600 is the recommended cursing rpm. falls on its face below 1400. the 427's and lower hp had a better tq curve. good fuel millage its a light engine can defiantly carry some of your load up on the steers. pretty reliable. with the 460's i really would not want anything other than at least a 13 or 18 speed transmission. and your going to want gears that will put you at at least 1500 rpm at your normal target cursing speed.

if you run them where they want to run they pull strong. mine will keep right up with 500 c-15's all day. 550's will out run me on big hills at equal weights but not by a mile. (iv never messed with the ecm but its possible it may have been turned up before i owned it)

downsides is pretty much any engine related part has to come from mack. my local mack dealer has great parts guys but carry very little stock on hand for my truck. also my one time taking it to macks shop witch resulted in several more visits due to issues with the work they did was not good. your millage may vary on that.

re-mack engines can come with a 3 year unlimited millage warranty if they repaced the injectors and turbo when they installed the engine so depending on when it was done that engine may still be covered for a while.

jake break is kinda weak but about on par for what you should expect for a 12L engine.

there reliable they do have some quirks but there good engines.

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.