Mack or Kw

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by trk3, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine

Version-II with ruined transmission. We put Geatronic in. I did rewiring

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    :biggrin_2556: Your statement is not that acurate. While Eaton does have a TCM (Transmission control module) it does communicate with the engine throught the datalink (J1939) to the engine to help make shifts smoother. Each engine manufacture that uses an Eaton has to get that engine transmission certified by Eaton before eaton will give the ok to release it. There is a lot of fine tuning of the engine's parameters to help make the shifts as smooth as possible. Many hours are spent at Eatons test facility in Marshall Michigan to certify the engine to trans specs (which means a lot of going up and down hills and going in circles at their test track.)

4. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Well then IH must have snuck my last truck past them because the autoshift in it was horrible, would slam gears and would not shift properly in "drive" mode..... it performed flawlessly in the manual mode tho.

Eaton even replaced the x-y controller and all the wiring. Still did not work well and they told me it was the "best we can do as our computers do not read every sensor the engine has"

This was a 2005 IH 9400i with a C15 ACERT motor.

5. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I'm currently driving a loaner '12 CXU613, 505hp MP8, Mack M-Drive trans., 70" condo, looooooong wheelbase tractor. Been driving it since the 6th, have it til the 12th. Last two days have been city/flatland in/around Denver to Nebraska. Today was Nebraska and back 80,400 lbs. Sunday/Monday/Tuesday will be Colorado Mtn's with this thing in winter driving condition. I'm planning to take some pics of the truck and setup and post a review of how it works. By the time we turn it back over to Mack I'll have about 2,500 miles behind the wheel, much more than any magazine review will ever do.

So far I'm impressed to say the least.

SHC and The Challenger Thank this.
  6. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine

European transmissions are based on synchro manuals and that's why when any European TCU cant shift smoothly it applies clutch. any who have truck with ZF Astronic (yep, peterbilt is usually with ZF) ore any I-shift/M-drive owner can feel how smooth are transmissions comparing with Ultrashift ore Autoshift.

But TCU controlled clutch is the weak point of European transmissions. Clutch release bearings life is shorter becouse TCU applies clutch, and bad bearing throwing balls may damage too many things inside bellhousing that's why it is recomended to inspect clutch parts avery time you drop tranny and change any part you sugest bad

SHC Thanks this.
  7. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    especially on first gen of as tronic fork was very problematic and require very often lubricating

i know one case that fork failure destroy gearbox

also man have very aggressive clutchwork so it require repairing very often

8. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    You have a gen 1 Eaton autoshift. They do get better with gen 2 and gen 3 transmissions from Eaton.

The Challenger and SHC Thank this.
  9. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I had to pick up a CXU613 rental when one of our CH's was down, #### nice truck and one of the nicest interiors.

I drove it all of 30 miles so I'm not going to base an opinion on that so I look forward to your write up.

The Challenger Thanks this.
  10. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    It was a gen 2 and the XY controller and ECM was updated in 2010

11. Castel

Castel Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Miami, fl
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.