Mack problems.....E-7

Discussion in 'Mack Forum' started by chalupa, Sep 10, 2012.

1. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Well yesterday I wanted to find out how to talk to my dog with software. Today she let me know that was not a good idea.

I was running along on the service road heading to unload and the alarm went off. ( reason for talking to my dog in the first place ) and I heard a clunk about this time too so I hit the override and nursed it to the side in a safe spot.

I have lost all oil pressure. gage says zero lbs running.

Friend says I likely broke drive shaft to oil pump. Shaft is about $1100 and pump is about $600.

Mechanic is pulling pan tonite. Gonna see what treasures await in the bottom.

What do you say? Anything else to do / look for ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    I had one that did that exact thing and the driver didn't shut it down soon enough, galled the engine to its death, so I installed a reman. Hopefully you didn't hurt it, it's very possible you didn't.

4. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    I think I would drop some main bearing caps and take a look at the bearings.

5. chalupa

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Yeah me too Bender....... And I plan to Smellfunny.... was even thinking this would be a good time to put a bottom end in it. That way I would know.......

Keep your fingers crossed, I'll let you know.....

6. chalupa

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    The dipstick had broke off late last week, I had a new one ordered from dog and was waiting for it. The part that broke off ( flat tab that has the oil level marks ) apparently went through the oil pump drive gear and cracked or shattered a tooth. After that tooth broke off the load was too much and 4 more ripped off leaving a blank spot on the gear.

When the pump came around to blank it stopped AKA no oil pressure.

Don't see any other damage.

Can't get pump either....it's in Memphis. Mack is going to give it a ride on a jet tonite.

What a deal.......

7. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    I'm surprised that piece of dipstick made its way past the screen. Bummer deal that it's got you down, but great that you shut it down preventing more serious damage.

8. chalupa

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Didn't get in that way. Mack oil pump looks like a car pump ( shape ) and the drive gear on the top of the shaft openly exposed to the cam drive gear. Dipstick is right there too.

Broken piece of dipstick found in pan had perfect indentation to match gear tooth like you ran it through vice.

I Hope the engineers at dog were smart enough to make the drive gear and dipstick out of softer material then the cam. It's difficult to see a crack in the cam drive with your back on a creeper........ this will be a short party if they didn't.

bender Thanks this.
  9. Tow Bandit

Tow Bandit Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2012
    It is times like this when you are lying under the truck, knowing that the rouge oil drop is going to get you in the eye, that you ask yourself the question as to what you did in the previous life that was so bad that you were sent back to own a truck whilst others are sent back to drive Porsche's and play with breasts all day.

chalupa Thanks this.
  10. chalupa

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Ahh yess, the good ole' days of haulin arse.........

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.