MacOS High Sierra

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by STexan, Sep 10, 2018.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Anybody moved to this yet? I've still got this 5 year old MacBook Pro (Late 2013) with Yosemite that I'm happy with and not really planning on buying a newer Mac at this point. I understand there are some new file handling improvements and they finally adopted the latest 4k HVEC h.265 standard into the core OS. But I decided to stay away from video editing of h.265 files a year ago because I'm just not into video editing.

I'm reluctant to upgrade the OS just yet, and doubt I really need it on this older machine. It handles my needs just fine, as is. Adobe Lightroom is the most demanding software I have and it handles it fine. But I also realize you can't ignore updates forever.

If I was doing 4k video editing, I'd probably buy the current model 15" MacBook with the bigger i9 processor and would be eager to do the upgrade to High Sierra.

Anybody have any experience with the new High Sierra OS on older generation Macs?

I have a camera capable of shooting 4k video, and captures h.265 natively. I'm curious how this machine would handle those huge files natively, but I suspect it would labor extensively, regardless, with the older i7 processor. And watching 4k video on a small screen of a laptop just doesn't make sense as noted here 4K laptops are gorgeous, but they're not worth it yet | TechRadar

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Still running 10.6.8 on my 2009 MBP. What I look at is how many program updates I'll have to pay for.

4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Running HS on my 2010 MBP without issue. Unfortunately it is maxed out at HS... :-(

But at this point you might as well wait and upgrade to Mojave... no major additions just stabilized the OS. Oh, and began to add iOS Apps to the Mac OS.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.