Made my First Mistake

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RogerThat72, Jan 30, 2014.

1. RogerThat72

RogerThat72 Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Been driving for 1 year. Love the Road, and everything trucking has to offer. Made a mistake, and got my first preventable. I know I'm a greenhorn and people make mistakes but gosh darn it I feel so #### dumb I did this. I dropped a trailer for a split in the drop yard that went smooth. Then I was already in a rush for a live load that was scheduled to close and didnt give me any time to get there. I hooked up to a loaded trailer when I needed an empty. As I was doing my Pre-trip on the trailer I then seen the "Seal" so I forgot I had my air lines and electrical line hooked up and detached from the trailer. Glad hands with about 2ft of air house were on the trailer and my hoses were split in two. #### rookie mistake.....Is this something that will hurt me in the industry? no one was hurt or anything I just split my air lines in half. Gosh darn it!! It wasn't reported to the police but It was reported to the company and a claims person called me. What happens from here? on my DAC? so disappointing... :biggrin_25513:

davetiow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Don't worry.
    Is still better then dropping the trailer on the ground.:yes2557:

Have you ever seen anyone make a intelligent misstake?:biggrin_25512:

Learn from it and move on.

4. jameslawton

jameslawton Light Load Member

May 1, 2013
    Tulsa OK
    No won't hurt more then your pride and people talking about you for a bit but it happens alot if you take the blame and don't get upset when someone talks sh t to you no big deal but don't let it happen again

5. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

It wasn't reported to the police Can you HONESTLY think of any reason why it should have been ?

6. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Best lesson to take from this.....SAFETY 1ST......don't let others rush you....anytime. Make your self get into a habit of doing a pre-trip EXACTLY the same way every time....start at point-A and end at point Z...the same way....it should take about 15 to 20 minutes to do it correctly. Never let a dispatcher hurry you , just tell them it takes a certain amount of time to do the job correctly...if they give you any trouble , let their boss know it. SAFETY 1ST...............PERIOD.

7. RogerThat72

Jan 30, 2014
    Not a serious accident?

FLATBED Thanks this.
  8. rwdfinch50

rwdfinch50 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    My immediate reaction is to say don't worry about it. We all make mistakes, and I know I've dropped trailers before and forgot the air lines. Makes a hell of a bang when they hit the back of the sleeper for sure. I've never had them split before.
    Whenever I did a stupid thing such as that when I was a company driver, I always called the boss and offered to pay for it. I never had a boss take me up on the offer to pay, but I did get respect for owning up to what I did and offering to pay.
    Don't worry about the DAC either. If you go through life always worrying about things you have no control over, you'll go crazy. Most carriers wouldn't put anything on your DAC except when you terminate your employment. If you're planning on continuing to work there, It's not a worry.

RogerThat72 Thanks this.
  9. Edgar2191

Edgar2191 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2013
    5 yrs driving and I did the same thing. I didnt rip my hoses but droped the trailer on my frame. Im an owner op so my ego hurt more than anything.

10. RogerThat72

Jan 30, 2014
    Thanks guys. I guess your all right when you say not to worry about it, move on, and LEARN from it. As I have, I just needed to get it off my chest sorta say. Anyways, Atleast I put the landing gear down before lol. Safe travels!

11. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    What he said ^^^^ Buy new lines and move on, on a scale of 1 - 100 for seriousness, it ain't even on the scale.

FLATBED and HotH2o Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.