MAG Carriers. Need current info on them.

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by johnnyman1099, Mar 24, 2017.

1. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I just quit my dayjob, bought a used truck and going to orientation next week. Any info and experiences with them would help me greatly. Searching on previous posts on them, it was over 3 years ago.

Here is what I know about MAG Carriers. You self dispatch as if you have your own authority using Internet Truckstop as the main loadboard. You get 90% of the rate sheet. Upon loading, you can get 40% fuel advance. They have a fleet discount on fuel at pilots and other truck stop. Orientation is only one day.

Looking at their current FMCSA safty rating, they are in great standings now. With very fee out of service and reportable accidents.

Initially, I plan to lease their Van trailer and let them keep an additional 7% for their trailer. Once i am comfortable with their system, I'm buying an all Alluminium flatbed trailer.

I had my own Authority in the past and there are alot of extra issues just to keep that 10%. With my own Authority, my insurance would be more, factoring already take 4-7% and no cash advance for fuel. Also no fuel discount at the pump with my own aurthority. Also having authority have compliance issues and filings. Getting an DOT audit usually mean fines too.

I think MAG Carriers will be working real hard for their 10%. So what do you guys think ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. johnnyman1099

Mar 13, 2017
    Other posts said that MAG carriers will charge you fees for DOT related writeups ? I wasn't told of that. Do they still charge drivers fees for DOT writeups for lights, etc....

I don't plan to get pick on by DOT so have plan accordingly to try to avoid them. I have a nice rig with new tires, lights, brakes, and make sure even the thoughest inspection wouldn't put me out of service. I have been DOT more than 30 times in the last decade so I've seen a lot of BS that DOT officers can throw at me.

4. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I occasionally find some good loads on Truckstop, but you will need to invest in a subscription to DAT as well.

DarkhorseEnterprises Thanks this.
  5. johnnyman1099

Mar 13, 2017
    When I had my authority last year and many years before, I've always done very well with flatbed freight using InternetTruckstop but did notice that Van rates were very low or erratic.

So DAT have more postings than InternetTruckstop ?

6. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yes, DAT has way more postings, at least for van and reefer. I don't deal with flatbed. You will get more calls from brokers, too, if you post your truck to DAT.

7. johnnyman1099

Mar 13, 2017
    8thNote, are you leased on with MAG ?

8. Radioactv

Radioactv Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2017
    I'm looking hard at them also. Seems too good to be true for 10% but will give it a try .. been driving lease and company for 20 year. Gonna jump all in and try it out..

9. johnnyman1099

Mar 13, 2017
    I joined MAG in March of 2017, and I am still with them. I am doing great. Everything was as advertised and upfront. Initially, I rented a 2016 dryvan from MAG. They take 7% off ratesheet for rental and they pay for all trailer maintenance. Unfortunately, dryvan rates was too low for me so after only 2 weeks renting the dryvan from MAG, I returned their trailer to them and rented an all aluminium flatbed from a third party vendor because MAG dont have flatbed to rent. MAG accomodated me with insurance requirements on the rental. The great thing about MAG is that after I returned their trailer to them, they returned my full deposit on the trailer and no additional fees were charged. This was not the case on the previous company I was leased to. Now, I am pulling a stepdeck.

The biggest learning curve with MAG is being able to self dispatch. There are no dispatchers, only load tenders. So, you really have to book your own loads using Internet Truck Stop, or other loadboards.

Ringo1 Thanks this.
  10. thelinedriver

thelinedriver Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2017
    what about company drivers? do they have any? what kind of trucks do they have? I heard they have the latest volvos?

11. Doc W

Doc W Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Yes, they have some company drivers...

Well, when I called them recently, they have nothing older than 2015's I think. And most, if not all, are the new Freightliner Cascadias with the Premium pkg.... fridge, microwave area, studio lighting, upgraded interiors with dual leather air ride seats, fog lights, and full gauge package.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.