Magnum ltd - fargo, nd

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Interplanet Janet, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Metal cowboy

Metal cowboy Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Sounds like you'll be overly prepared haha, Magnums top knotch.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Metal cowboy

Metal cowboy Light Load Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Do you go home or in hotel?

4. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    Nateman is the school Mon. - Fri?
    Are they are paying you while in school? I thought I read that from a previous post.
    I don't know of any school that allows floating so that's a surprise and nice. They must have their own testers which is fine or MN is very lenient.
    I've got a little truck driving experience and used a combination of floating and tapping the clutch when it didn't want to go in gear. I'm not an expert shifter and tend to be very hard on myself.
    How many are in the class and I think you're the only OTR guy right?
    Thanks for the updates.

5. Nateman482

Nateman482 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2019
    I have family near here so I'm fortunate to be able to stay with them.

Ita Monday to Friday, but on Friday we can do a half day and come in for 4 hours Saturday to shift around the empty yard.

$14/hour while in school.

MN testers allow floating which is nice.

6 in the class, another guy might go OTR but he hasn't decided yet.

Update: I can now upshift to 5 and downshift back to 1 with no problems!! One smooth motion with the gas pedal to get it out of gear and in to the lower gear. I'm so happy!! I've made so much progress this week. Did my pretrip again with no notes too.

Goldenfan and radioshark Thank this.
  6. radioshark

radioshark Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Don’t worry about shifting it comes with practice, I’ve been driving 30 years and I still occasionally miss a gear.

RickyDickyDo and Nateman482 Thank this.
  7. Ray Strack

Ray Strack Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    Anyone who says they dont grind is either lying or drives an auto lol. No one is perfect. Different weight, incline/decline, some trucks have tighter gears with smaller windows. Glad you're getting the hang of it. Shifting is fun.

Was always told how you are trained to drive for the test is not how you'll drive on your own. They train you not to shift over tracks or in intersections but guess what... DOT doesn't want you to coast but I did instead of going down through the gears. Our company has a policy of down shifting no more than one gear. It is hard on the equipment and worse on fuel economy.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    RickyDickyDo and Nateman482 Thank this.
  8. radioshark

radioshark Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2012
    There is a reason they tell you to not shift going over RR tracks and fail you, it’s illegal.
    49 CFR § 392.10 - Railroad grade crossings; stopping required.

RoadCall, ncmickey and Nateman482 Thank this.
  9. Ray Strack

Ray Strack Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
  10. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    Thanks Nateman. So you'll be paid about $3000.00 and it's a year contract. Sounds like a great deal to me. What if something happens and you don't stay the year? How much is the reimbursement? Things do happen some don't stay or make it. It's a possibility in this job. I'm just trying to cover the questions with someone who is there. Thank You.

Nateman482 Thanks this.
  11. Nateman482

Nateman482 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2019
    No problem man, feel free to ask me all the questions you can think of. Everyone here was so helpful in getting me the info I needed before I commited, I'm happy to help out.

$6000 to buy out the 1 year contract, I believe it's adjusted down depending on the time you put in.

Goldenfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.