Magnum ltd - fargo, nd

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Interplanet Janet, Nov 17, 2014.

1. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    When I was doing OTR I stayed overnight at the Love's in Barstow and the Petro in Ontario a good number of times. I ran my APU every single night and other trucks idled and ran their APU's too. I've heard about the APU thing in California but like I said, I've never seen it enforced. And at the Petro in Ontario they have a guard that'll circle the lot at night and who checks the reserved parking too.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Winnyf1

Winnyf1 Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Evansville, IN
    It's not enforced, but because it could be some companies stay away. Also developing relationships to find good paying outbound freight is challenging.

BeHereNow97 and Jarhed1964 Thank this.
  4. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    This is true. I just wanted to offer perspective for drivers who may never have driven a semi through California before.

Winnyf1 Thanks this.
  5. interstate942

interstate942 Light Load Member

May 24, 2019
    Yes we do a lot of California!

Jarhed1964 and Winnyf1 Thank this.
  6. arni

arni Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2010
    The only NEGATIVE thing I can say about Magnum is I left for health reasons and they would not rent me a car home. They made my dispatcher pay for the rental car and I had to payback the dispatcher, I find this very LAME.

7. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    I think it’s super RARE that a company pays your way home when you leave. You should consider yourself lucky the dispatcher helped you out. MOST companies forget your name the day you turn the keys in….
    I had my issues with Magnum… but I didn’t have an unrealistic expectation they would pay my way home. That was my responsibility.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  8. arni

arni Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Most of the trucking companies I have worked for have paid for the transportation home. Only the ones that there was a unfavorable departure did they refuse to pay for transportation. So I was a good employee for Magnum, I left because of health issues and I expected them to pay for my ride home. So for all you newbies, a trucking company will pay for you to get there because your an investment but don't expect a ride home after you bust your a-s for them because now your worthless.

9. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    As someone who is still considering this occupation and is looking at Magnum as a potential company I wouldn't be offended if I had to pay my own way home after I quit. I'm sorry you had to leave for health reasons but I don't see where you can have a beef with them.To put this in perspective do you think all companies in all occupations should just give an ex employee a few hundred bucks when you leave just cause? The cost would be astronomical and not feasible. Sounds like you had a good dispatcher there to help you out. Do you not have a credit card to cover a rental car or another form of transportation?

I also doubt that they think you're worthless either. That seems a little dramatic. Did they wish you the best, tell you thanks and tell you if things change health wise to give them a call?

Good luck and I hope your health improves.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  10. Winnyf1

Winnyf1 Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Evansville, IN
    Wow that is weird, we rent a car for drivers who return their trucks to Duluth, it's sort of an incentive.

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  11. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    If they don't return the truck to a terminal won't they be dinged on that? Where I work if ex employees don't return their uniforms and any other company property their last check is deducted for the amount. Seems fair to me.
    You used to work for Magnum right? Did they pay for your way home when you left?

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.