Major carriers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lonewolf2000, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    Today I sat for 2 presentations, one from trans am the other Werner. One thing the Werner recruiter said was to not park my car at the terminal for training, which would be at the Allentown PA terminal. He said that Werner would buy me a ticket from greyhound and pick me up at local station. Also he said Werner will shuttle me around if I need to get food etc. He told everyone in class you can take truck home with you. And if there isn’t room at your residence you can park it at any customers of Werner’s, Sears/Walmart/dollar general etc. Does anyone know if the other trucking companies such as swift/Schneider/knight etc allow you to leave your vehicle at terminal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    When I drove for Schneider years ago, they had a lot for drivers to park their POVs at the OC. As far as Werner, I know a guy who drops or leaves his tractor and trailer at a Dollar General about 2 miles from his house. The only thing about parking at terminals is that the POV lot is unsecured

4. Lonewolf2000

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    Can you tell me what pov/oc stand for?. As far as Werner goes I have a cousin who lives an hour from their terminal and she will most likely let me leave my vehicle there. Also I may see if the dollar generals near me will let me leave my car there and I’ll just swap it with Werner hunk of ####.

5. Lonewolf2000

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    I preferred Werner over Schneider because werners terminal is 2 1/2 hours from where I live vs Schneider being 5 hours away. I may take the longer drive to Schneider if I can leave my car there. I

6. z32sean

z32sean Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Middle Tennessee
    POV is personally owned vehicle and OC is operating center (terminal)

7. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    USA Truck let me park mine there. Was there 2 years except home time.

8. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Werner don't want students to have personal cars at the terminal as it makes it easier for them to escape!.

DoubleO7, DeeDeeKong, x1Heavy and 10 others Thank this.
  9. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Being stuck at that fleebag Allentown quality inn at Allentown sucks. My advice if you are going to do it, do it right now, before Christmas. Christmas makes matters much worse with trainers taking home time for Christmas and thanksgiving. My overall experience with Werner was terrible, by the time spring arrived local driving gigs opened up and I pursued local driving work. I was fed up with them. I have little to no interest in driving otr and screwing up my marriage or children, but I don't give up on a career path very easily. I drove dump truck all summer and when the seasonal work ended, now I'm in a tractor trailer again driving milk truck.

My advice is look somewhere else, but if you insist on werner; do it now.

Further advice if you insist on werner take a rental car, Werner will reimburse most of the expense. That grey dog is going to take 2-3x longer then it should. Since everyone is required to have a drivers license to go to Werner, rental cars should be a forgone conclusion. The grey dog is a bad joke.

Need4Speed and tscottme Thank this.
  10. Lonewolf2000

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    Well I don’t finish school until January so the holidays will be over by th time I start. Worst case scenario I have a cousin an hour from Allentown so I can leave my car in her driveway and she can drive me to terminal.

11. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    If you take your car to the terminal and leave it, you'll notice a bunch of cars sitting with flat tires and 4 inches of dust...that's because those drivers hired on and brought their cars and left out in their trucks and this was 8 months ago and are still trying to get back to that terminal but not having much luck......because dispatch says there aren't any loads coming thru there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.