Making move to tanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by RevKev, Aug 8, 2013.

1. DragginMan

DragginMan Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    north AL
    Just wondering how is life at TWT lately? I'm just down the road from that terminal, we wash some of ya'll tanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RevKev

RevKev Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    Hi, DragginMan. Life's just fine. I got in Friday mid-afternoon from an 11-day run. Rare I'm out that long tho. All chemical run this time with very few empty miles. Terminal dispatcher told me this next week he has almost the entire week filled with every driver booked already with loads throughout the entire week. Of course, I've never just sat at home b/c we didn't have work anyway. Our terminal manager has been at TWT 20 years, been a driver longer. The dispatcher has also been a driver for years, as well as a terminal manager at another company. In other words, they definitely know what it's like out on the road for drivers & stand up for us when necessary.
    I'M often home thru the week, sometimes as many as 3-4 nights. Just depends. Only thing that would make the gig better, for me, is if I could be home every night & every weekend. But hey, most everybody wants that, right??!! LOL

realsupatrucka Thanks this.
  4. realsupatrucka

realsupatrucka Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2013
    houston tx
    Good move....tankers are the best ever...

5. DragginMan

DragginMan Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    north AL
    Good deal RevKev. Life is always better when rolling ain't it ;)

RevKev Thanks this.
  6. rockyroad74

rockyroad74 Heavy Load Member

All you have to worry about is gross weight. Axle weights will be balanced automatically just by the tank design which balances the weight.

When I puled on a scale with a tanker I would just put it in neutral and let it coast slow, it would speed up and slow down with the surge and in turn the mass of the truck countering the surge would settle it down. Then the truck will just stop and be almost dead still, if you don't hit the brakes.

Finesse! Tankers are like ladies, they need patience, a gentle hand, and respect.

Speaking of ladies, I always got a kick when a red light would have me slowdown a little faster than I'd have liked. The air bags would be blowing and hissing and that tanker was creaking and booming. This always got the wildest reactions from the old ladies, especially, that were in the car stopped next to me.

7. RevKev

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    Yeah, rockyroad, I've never concerned myself with axle weight since getting off the flatbed. :)

rockyroad74 Thanks this.
  8. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    RevKev never knew you started this thread after you left McElroy. Just read thru it and seemed interesting. Hope you are enjoying the job and that things go well for you. I have yelled at a couple drivers but no one would answer me so one of these days I might get to talk to you. Be safe.

9. RevKev

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    Hi, Popcorn! Things are going well. Staying busy, work with good folks, boss is great. No complaints really. Hope all is well with you.

popcorn169 Thanks this.
  10. bigchuckie

bigchuckie Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Middle of nowhere maine
    Or Titanium Dioxide which weighs the same but 4000 gallons in a 12000 gallon can. You feel like its gonna come thru the bulkhead regardless of what you do

11. jordanfsx29

jordanfsx29 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Anyone still work for TWT still?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.