Making move to tanker

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by RevKev, Aug 8, 2013.

1. RevKev

RevKev Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    Riding with Fish??!!! Oh, man...let me apologize in advance! Well, actually I guess it's too late to do it in advance. ;)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. deeblu

deeblu Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Haha he's a good one.

4. RevKev

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    Yep. You'll like Scootie as well. All good guys.

5. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    Shiftin' on the tide driver, a skill few learn. Your right, it's fun. You only get one mistake. I like that. If something goes wrong, your the first to know.

RevKev and deeblu Thank this.
  6. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    I'm curious if you guys ever move your 5th wheel. I just started pulling tankers a month ago and have never messed with it like I did pulling reefers. All the way back? All the way forward? In-between the drives like on a reefer? Does it matter at all? Any help or experience in this would be great as I'm clueless

7. RevKev

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    I've yet to move mine. The one on this truck is in the same position the one on the first truck they assigned to me. I know so little about sliding the fifth wheel anyway, I'm not sure how to tell ya it's position. (Let the "steering wheel holder" jokes commence). I can tell you the front pin is in the seventh notch from the front. I like the position, as it seems to handle the loads just fine. Also, the guy they moved out of this truck & into a newer (even tho this is a '13 model Volvo) flat top rig noticed the fifth wheel on it was in a different position. He said first thing he was going to do was move it to where this one is. He's been pulling tanks for years. I figured I'd listen to his experience & just leave well enough alone. lol

8. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    Why move it? Your load is moving all the time. Can't weigh a tanker on a platform scale, Well you can if you want to wait an hour.

9. RevKev

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    Well, I'm new to this and all, but we weigh on scales all the time. Just pull into scales, stop the truck, & release the service brakes, do not set tractor or trailer bakes. The rig will move back & forth, but they can get a weight a lot sooner. Was a really weird feeling the first time I did it. Thought the rig would just roll if the scale in one direction or the other, but it stayed put alright.

10. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    I wasn't thinking about the weight. I was thinking more about ride quality and turning radius. Stuff like that.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Can't remember the name of the company now, but I've hauled loads of acid to Tama, IA

Our 5th wheels were fixed so never had to move them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.