Making the jump

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Clasix1055, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Clasix1055

Clasix1055 Even when I'm wrong I'm right

Jan 26, 2012
    Toledo, Ohio
    So i am considering moving into the arena with CRST Malone, i have made my decision and have read all negative experiences on here so thats not what this thread is for....My question is I spoke to the recuriter about if I should purchase a headache rack and she informed me that all the trailers had headers on them, would it be wise to purchase my own trailer, the $185 weekly rental is allready a little high to me and im sure I could finance one for a lower rate but I have never ran flat and don't know if I will hate it or not....are the trailers over there junk? Buy a trailer with toolboxes on it? Any experienced direction would be helpful.....Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Since you don't know what you're doing, I'd advise you to rent the trailer for a little while. Sure 185 a week sucks, SHC is paying $150 for a brand new all aluminum Fontaine here at Landstar (though he's a bit lucky), it will give you experience in figuring out what you might like in your trailer, like J hooks, pull out chains, wood or aluminum floor, 53' or 48', and on and on. Not knowing anything now, you might buy a trailer that really isn't that useful.

Clasix1055 and Mommas_money_maker Thank this.
  4. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    I definitely agree with 40cal's advice. Learn the ropes and what you like and dont like before buying, there is A LOT to consider. Plus what if you dont like it after 6 months and want to do something else?

Clasix1055 Thanks this.
  5. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    The only way I would jump into buying a trailer if your not sure is how I did it. The guy selling the trailer (whom I know) had some health problems and just wanted out. I bought his trailer for $10,000 less than what it was worth, I couldn't afford to not do it. Plus I got an enclosed headache rack and all the securement equipment just thrown into the deal. Had that deal not come up I had planned on renting/leasing a trailer until I knew for sure that I would like it.

Clasix1055 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.