Mandatory APU's

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Ken Worth, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    I understand that but for the price someone pays for these APU's you ought to be able to freeze a side of beef in the cab...LOL

Hope you understand my point.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

I understand. I was just trying to show that in Laredo, there is not much to do about it due to the way trucks are made. Hopefully it will change.

4. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Sounds to me like either an improper install, improper freon charge or all around faulty equipment.

The unit I had on my truck would definitely keep you cool.

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

I don't know. I was only referring to running the front and back air on the truck and trying to get it cool in Laredo one summer. I have never had the luxury of an APU to experience what it would do.

I would certainly hope it would do the job for the price.

6. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Road you are correct if there isn't enough insulation the AC will only moderate the bake oven effect of a cab/sleeper.

7. Native Dancer

Native Dancer Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.
    I've found a lot of people complaining about lack of cooling have their controls set bringing in outside air, trying to cool down 100 degree plus air. Tell them to set the control at recirculating air and it solves the problem. It also helps to have the cab and sleeper pre-cooled with the main engine before switching the APU on. Dirty cab filters are another common problem with inadequate cooling.

8. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    He's got a rigmaster and I've heard alot of people complain about the heating and cooling of the unit.

9. Brickman

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Bring in outside air maybe an issue with other brands and I don't know it. But on every KW I've driven things "feel" cooler on the fresh air setting. The air does not circulate around the inside worth a darn on recirc and allows a lot of pockets of hot air to build up.

If you have fresh air on and crack open a sleeper vent there is a huge difference. Same in the winter with heat. Except I don't crack open a sleeper vent then.

10. Ken Worth

Ken Worth Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    As far as how much they'll cost if mandated......how much did a fancy TV cost when it first came out and only a few people bought it? How much do they cost now that there's a market for a billion of them and the Japanese, Mongoleans, and Nordic Fisherman are making them? I think it's the truck manufacturers themselves and the regulators who make the artificially high prices. This is a portable heatpump we're talking about. We're not gonna shoot it into space.

A driver above showed how you can do it yourself for $700.

11. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    the staes who mandate insurance vs the unmandated states is a much better comparison. Andd I know my insurnce here in TX (a mandated state) is three times as much as it was in WI (unmandated state) for the same vehicle I moved with.

any time you MANDATE something you compleatly disable the natural market forces which influence price since they don't have to cmpete. you HAVE to have it so they can charge anything they want

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.