Mandatory logging on duty fueling

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, Jul 21, 2022.

1. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulationsvdthh

As of 04/01/2023 all logs must show 15 minutes for fueling if the total miles logged is greater than 750 miles or if no fueling was logged the previous worked day. A log violation will be issued to the vehicle operator "driver" if no fueling has been logged. This measure has been taken by the DOT to reduce the use of off duty "Rest Break" while preforming on duty tasks such as fueling.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    1st your link doesn't work.
    2nd requiring 15min would be falsification your log... you log it as you do it. Takes me 8-10 min to put to put 100gl on my truck.
    3rd fueling (onduty not driving) counts as part of your 30min break

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Yeppers. 6 minutes last night. That included cleaning the bugs off the windshield. I refuse to falsify my logs by putting 15 minutes in.
    Plus, how would that work anyway? I pull in to the pumps, select on duty not driving, select fuel, hit ok. Takes about 2 seconds.
    I fuel and glass, hop back in and take off and finish my trip. It's either drive time or on duty time.

Not everyone fuels and takes an hour at the pump to get moving again.

5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I always fueled as On Duty-Yard Move... That way it didnt trip me to the Drive line when I pulled forward, or parked to finish my break.

6. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    JUST, WOW!!

I recall NEVER logging On Duty/Not Driving for Fueling, it was Off Duty since I was never paid to Fuel, being it was simply another "Break" in Trucking.
    Only thing apart from On Duty Driving was Pre Trip and since I did numerous In Trip Inspections (walk around checking Lights, Flashers, Tires, Wheels, 5th Wheel Securement, Trailer Doors Secured [I Locked Trailer Doors When Empty To Keep Out Vermin]) after a visit inside whatever tricky truck stop I visited, I rarely did a Post Trip, nor did I log such.
    NEVER Logged On Duty/Not Driving for Fueling on ANY E-Log.
    NEVER Had ANY ISSUE with Log Departments.

Guess I Literally Skated Away On The Thin Ice Of A New Day!!
    CHEERS!!

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Another point. How in the world do teams work if it's always one teammate fueling (because it's easier at night, for example)?

There is one truck I try not to drive at work, because the previous driver refuses to fuel it so it's left to the other driver to do the fueling.
    What if it's done in the yard like my previous company where I went on duty to drop thew trailer, fuel and post all taking less than 15 minutes?

Val_Caldera Thanks this.
  8. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    What if the mechanics/yard workers fuel the truck at night?

9. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Right, and how do they know there's not an attendant at the truck stop to fuel your truck? There could be, but we're not obligated to tell the gov.

10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    They don't want you to falsify anything!
    They want you to fuel for at least 15 minutes.

Do you see the difference?

YOU ARE MANDATED TO FUEL FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES!

The same way you are mandated to stay in the sleeper, and nowhere else, when completing the longer break of the two, when using the sleeper split break method.

What do you do, if you fill up faster than 15 minutes? You can't!

How to go about making sure that you fuel for at least 15 minutes?
    Not too sure, perhaps you take your time with hanging up the hoses, putting the caps on, or getting your fuel receipts, even if you don't need to. I mean, it does not take much imagination how to spend 15 minutes fueling, even though the liquid of diesel stopped floating into your tanks.

You can log your time of fueling showing the only truth there is, but if it is less than 15 minutes, then it will be a non-compliance violation.

On the other hand, If you show 15 minutes but you did not fuel for 15 minutes, yes, it will be log falsification!

You must make sure that you stay engaged fueling for at least 15 minutes!

Better train yourself to take at least 15 minutes once the pump is open (you can and should also include the time leading up to opening the pump) else you will be in trouble!

Justified public safety-wise? SURE!!!!!!
    Perhaps too many incidents of showing the fueling process to last less than 1-2 minutes...
    Perhaps too many pick-ups and deliveries with less than 1-minute check-in and check-out procedure...

Indeed, I hear that it is still possible, almost 4 years after the ELD mandate is in effect to run from Chicago, IL to Salinas, CA then come back to Chicago, IL in less than 7 days: less than 70 hours.

OK

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  11. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    DOT can take a long lick on deez nuts for 15 min

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.