Manual Transmission to Automatic

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Youngtrucker19, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Youngtrucker19

Youngtrucker19 Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Ok, I know this probably can be done, and I know there are going to be some people to be negative toward it, but any of you mechanics swapped and manual truck to an automatic truck before? My mechanic at the company I drive for know says all the old trucks we have were converted from manual to automatic transmissions. How much does one spend on that because I really want to know if it's a #### load of money why they done that verses buy newer trucks that were autos.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    Automated manuals or automatics?

4. Youngtrucker19

Feb 13, 2013
    Automated manuals. They still have a clutch.

5. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    To get satisfactory performance you'd probably need compatible ECU programming to go along with the automatic which would probably have it's own control unit also. Changes, like what to do with the engine while the tranny is coasting, how to handle engine braking and items like that.

6. Youngtrucker19

Feb 13, 2013
    That would explain why they are having issues with them not shifting right or jake brakes not working correctly or at all. And getting a mind of their own.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Sure.

Park Automatic equipped truck here.

Clean your stuff out of it.

Move everything into nice new manual transmission truck unit number so and such is over yonder.

Read the manual to understand what is required of you in the upcoming task of operating this device safely.

Start driving.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. Youngtrucker19

Feb 13, 2013
    You miss the point I was asking. I was asking what the cost it was for my company to.convert manual trans. to auto. because the mechanic said they were converted. It's a over a million dollar a year company. If it cost the same as a newer truck why didn't they buy new and if they can put up that kinda money why can't we also get paid better. Hints, I'm going to another company anyways,but I just was wonder how greedy they really are.

9. Youngtrucker19

Feb 13, 2013
    Plus we don't use manuals anymore in beer delivery. But not only hard on the truck but after awhile even the best gear hammers would get tired of it.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You can convert. Send both donor trucks back to the factory, pay em a ridicilous amount of parts and labor to get it done.

you will learn through the painful expense of converting, that you should have bought pure retail manual in the first place.

Why do you think my posts are gently breaking it to you?

11. fargonaz

fargonaz Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mesa, AZ
    The company probably gets the equipment for cheap so their drivers can do R&D for equpiment manufacturers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.